Going down to Florida, and get some sand in my shoes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Or maybe Californi, and get some sand in my shoes.
I'll ride the the Orange Blossom Special, and lose these New York blues!

I'm brewing my own recipe American Wheat tonight whilst my wife is out. When I'm cooking the tea I'll stick my water on to heat. Mash will either go on just before I take the kids up to get ready for bed, or when I come back down.

Orange Blossom Special BIAB American Wheat Beer

75 minute mash with dunk sparge:
3kg light wheat malt
3kg Irish Lager Malt
250g carapils

60 minute boil:
Mandarina Bavaria 15g at 45, 20 and 5 mins, 25g at flameout.

Yeast: my first use of a liquid yeast, Fermentum Mobile Kansas Ears (recommended for American Wheat and Cream Ale) which I got FOC from GEB in exchange for a review. Did my starter Wednesday night and seems to have gone well.

Target OG 1.052
Target FG 1.013
Target ABV 5.22%

IBU 27

Planned for a mash of 67 but I can't get it below 68 so I'm sticking with it

This sounds good. The Orange from the hops should go really nicely with the wheat beer.

Sounds just the job! Where does the orange blossom come from?

Cheers

Clint

The plan is that the MB hops will give it loads of orange flavour, not sure whether it will or not but I give all my own recipe beers music-related names so this one gets the Johnny Cash treatment.

I will actually have 30g left that I was going to use in an IPA with 100g each of citra and Simcoe but I might just either lob them in with the flameout hops or dry hop.

I'd be tempted to save them for a dry hop. I'm doing a golden ale with just MB hops, did a similar schedule to you and have added a dry hop tonight. I had MB side by side with Cascade tonight (Cascade is a parent of MB) and the MB did smell similar but maybe a little sweeter. Could be just imagining that because it's what I've read it's supposed to be like though!

Hit my target SG bang on, and got 22and a bit litres in the fermenter so my efficiency is around 65%. Ideally I'd like higher but 4 brews ago I was only hitting 58% and it was annoying me - the 75min mash was the answer.

And I ended up shoving the last 30g into the flameout addition.

Unfortunately my 18month old woke up and I've spent the last half an hour trying to calm him down. SWMBO is on her way home and I haven't tidied up or pitched my yeast yet!

Popped my head in thebrew cupboard at 6am when I fed the cats and there was a krausen already! Not sure if it's the fact I did a starter or whether it's just a fantastic yeast!

This is the best looking krausen I've had of any beer I've made. Beautifully thick and creamy about 3 inches thick. I have high hopes for this beer, and I might have just been won over to liquid yeast. I'll maybe buy for 2 similar brews at a time going forward and reuse the yeast.

And so far my plan is working, I (I know naughty naughty) clicked the lid a tiny tiny smidge and the orangey/citrusy smell was tremendous.

I got everything ready for bottling before coming up to put the kids to bed, and I'll bottle it once my son is asleep.

It's fermented to 1.011 which gives me 78% attenuation and just over 5.3% ABV.

It tastes phenomenal out of the sample jar already, but I can't help thinking that I used too many hops and it is drowning out the wheat a little. I'm also not tasting much in the way of oranges at the moment. I'm not bothered by either of this if it tastes so good already though!

Wheat Beer now bottled

IMG_1689.jpg

This sounds like a great beer
Mick. Just to add on my comments above about manderina baveria in the beer I made, I ended up doing two separate dry hops and the second which was after fermentation had fully finished really added an orange aroma to it. Until then not so much was obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the hoover out of my brew cupboard on Wednesday and spotted that my PET "tester" bottle was solid so I have put a glass bottle in the fridge for an early sample tonight. As a hoppy Wheat beer it should be pretty good this early, and might might let me get my review of the yeast up on here, the GEB website and my blog.

Latest posts

Back