First brew of the year (BIAB with a slight experiment)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechwood

Regular.
Reaction score
My delivery from home brew shop came yesterday so as i have this week off i thought let's get a brew on to day. :)
Decided to do a dark mild .. I really enjoyed wychwood Arrowaine over Christmas but anyway I also wanted to experiment with reducing the mash time and boil time so I did a 45 min mash at 66c a 15 min dunk sparge and a 30 min boil. Was a bit concerned about about efficiency but act og came out 3 points higher than expected so that was alright.
Then I went with a 30 min boil with a single hop addition of FWH fermenting at 20c with mjs liberty bell yeast. Looking forward to see how it turns out, will post the results in due course :thumb:
Anyone else tried cutting down mash and boil times?

I did a split mash recently and shortened the resultant two boils to 45 minutes each, largely just to shave time off the overall brew day. I think so long as your boil is vigorous you'll have no DMS problems at 30 mins

sounds good Ajhutch, what was the beer like... any off flavours? be interesting to see what the 30 min boil beer is like... i did another brew yesterday 10 lts golden ale with a 45 min boil... will report back :thumb:

Marshall Schott over at Brulosophy did two xBmts on boil time (here and here), and both times the short boil beer was indistinguishable from the long boil beer. I've gotta say, I've done a couple of short boils and I don't think my beer has suffered for it.

sounds good Ajhutch, what was the beer like... any off flavours? be interesting to see what the 30 min boil beer is like... i did another brew yesterday 10 lts golden ale with a 45 min boil... will report back :thumb:

Still in the FV so nothing to report just yet!

bottled one and barrelled the other yest, i know they need time to mature but there is a similar taste in both beers which i'm a bit unsure about more so in the 30 min boil. it was a good experiment but i don't think i'll be doing it again... back to 60 min boil :thumb:

well to my complete surprise after cracking into the dark mild after only 11 days in the barrel its very nice, sulphur ish taste has completely gone and its very morrish RESULT!!! WELL CHUFFED. will try the golden ale soon to see how its coming along :thumb::thumb::thumb::drink::drink::drink:

tried the golden ale last night, same again :thumb: sulphur ish taste gone. lovely hoppy smooth session beer at 3.6%. used cascade and chinook. :thumb:

Back