finings containing sulphites?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Had stabilized some wine the other day which I never ever do, but didn't add campden as the Wilko stabiliser (potassium something or other) also contains sodium metabisulfite.

Anyhoo, decided to add finings tonight as I was already doing another batch, and low and behold, wilko's finings also contains sodium metabisulfite..

Whats the crack, are they obsessed that one spoiled batch and we won't go back, and stop making wine?

Does kwik clear contain any preservatives? Can't seem to find the ingredients on line.

Al

Iirc the Sodium Metabisulphate is to help stop the fermentation although you need to use the Potassium Sorbate to properly stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iirc the Sodium Metabisulphate is to help stop the fermentation although you need to use the Potassium Sorbate to properly stop it.

In finings though? A bit excessive perhaps, or are we over obsessed with reducing suplites.... hmmn..

In finings though? A bit excessive perhaps, or are we over obsessed with reducing suplites.... hmmn..

I believe it's because you are supposed to have stabilised your wine before adding finings so will help to stop the fermentation if you forget? Also aren't the sulphites only a problem if you have a sensitivity?

Thanks i didn't know that. I never used to stabilise my wine as i didn't want to add any chemicals but i had one batch thats was fizzy. Have you tried bentonite? It worked well for me on about 10 brews but the last one just will not clear.

Having avoided sulphites for years, recently I have had a number of wine batches which have gone off in bottle and cask due to infection, probably due to unsterilised wild fruit.

the replies all make sense, and a sensible approach seems to be add campden to any country/fruit based wine, or anything that is going to be bottled

WOW's/session wine, don't bother as they'll be gone quick, and may have redbush in em anyway

My point was more toward hidden (ish) sulphites in other products like finings. I guess with wilko's, you need to read all of the labels very carefully.

They'll be putting it in their yeast next :whistle:

the replies all make sense, and a sensible approach seems to be add campden to any country/fruit based wine, or anything that is going to be bottled

WOW's/session wine, don't bother as they'll be gone quick, and may have redbush in em anyway

My point was more toward hidden (ish) sulphates in other products like finings. I guess with wilko's, you need to read all of the labels very carefully.

They'll be putting it in their yeast next :whistle:

You sort of need them with most wild fruits to kill yeasts, bacteria etc. As for hidden sulphates everytime you have a glass of juice or dried fruit etc you'll find na metabisulphate or similar in them, in fact lots of food stuff has it added and k sorbate for preserving fruits. The age old question is in wine making do they add to your hangover or not (besides those sensitive to them), some finings have it in, some don't.

When you add the sulphates up from what you may have eaten, drunk on top of your sulphinated wine that may contribute to your hangover, couple of glasses of juice, food with it etc. But have to say hangovers seem to be reduced without chemical preservatives present. It maybe that the preservatives add to dehydration in the hangover especially the sodium?

Just checked the Beer Brite label and it contains Isinglass, Malto Dextrin, Potassium Metabisulfite and Malic Acid. What exactly are the last 2 for and are they toxic in any way? I have looked at polyclar but dont really like the idea of adding plastic to my beers. Maybe a filter would be a better option?

Potassium Metabisulfite is a preservative and yeast growth inhibitor. Malic Acid is a natural food additive which is sometimes used to compliment fruit flavours.

Kwik Clear contains Potassium sorbate, just for information if anyone looks at this post..

Worth noting, if you are stabilizing/camden tableting your wine AND clearing, you are adding preservatives twice.

Al

Latest posts

Back