Hi, Who likes beer here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just introducing myself. Waiting for the rest of my stuff to arrive up in the Highlands then I shall commence my first brew. Starting off with a kit to keep things simple, but keen to start experimenting.

Have begun keeping a beer diary, taking note of what I can taste in ales I buy, then checking out the particular ingredients so I can train my palate and find out what I like.

Can't wait to get started

iamthefly

Welcome to the forum! I have been known to indulge in the odd pint of ale from time to time. :thumb:

Hi ,from another person in the Highlands! Shipping ingredients can be a bit expensive up here, but worth it!

Welcome aboard, what kit are you starting off with?

Well...

Short story: full grain continental saison. :-o

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/continental-saison-4-5l-all-grain-beer-kit

Yeah I know that full grain is no the easiest place to start, but hold on guys:

Longer story: I spent a long time reading and thinking and decided that the two things that I don't want are (1) to end up with masses of beer, as I'm not actually a big drinker. (1 maaybe 2 on a fri and sat evening. perhaps a half on a couple days through the week.) I'm about quality over quantity when it comes to ale. And (2) I don't want to spend much money as �£ :(

Thinking:
This kit on costs �£10 :)
It only makes 4.5L of beer :)
I can use my pasta pot, cool box, and a cheep demijohn. :)
Forget sparging as I don't really understand it. It's the no-sparge method for me. At least for now.
I'm in this for the hobby, so simpler isn't better. All grain all the time!

I picked up the Session Ale and the Midnight Stout too as (I've always said) variety is the spice of life, so I get a new brew every 4.5L!

If it fails then I've spent �£10 to learn better for next time.

Any thoughts?

Hi ,from another person in the Highlands! Shipping ingredients can be a bit expensive up here, but worth it!

Some companies just don't understand "Mainland" eh?

I'm in Ross-Shire, where you stranded?

Some companies just don't understand "Mainland" eh?

I'm in Ross-Shire, where you stranded?

On the border between Inverness-shire and Nairn-shire :-)

Farm and Household has lots of basic equipment and good in a pinch if you run out of say cleaner, or need pressure barrel spares, or a syphon. But they don't really cater to all grain brewing, so I order ingredients online.

Back