Truemans Eagle stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Did a 4 litre partial mash of this today,Trumans Eagle stout from the B.Perkins list.Pale Malt, Brown malt, Black malt and some oats along with some liquid and spray malt's.Should be somewhere around 9% i hope:lol:.Will bottle it and stick it away for some considerable time.
Re mashed the spent grains with some crystal malt for 40 minutes ,sparged and added some Styrian goldings and boiled for 30 minutes.Cooled and tested,strained to FV added a small amount of BE and a small amount of Spray malt and topped up to 5 litres.Re tested at 1.032.
Both brews with Gervin re hydrated.
God know what the second one will be like but hey:mrgreen:.

Did a 4 litre partial mash of this today,Trumans Eagle stout from the B.Perkins list.Pale Malt, Brown malt, Black malt and some oats along with some liquid and spray malt's.Should be somewhere around 9% i hope:lol:.Will bottle it and stick it away for some considerable time.
Re mashed the spent grains with some crystal malt for 40 minutes ,sparged and added some Styrian goldings and boiled for 30 minutes.Cooled and tested,strained to FV added a small amount of BE and a small amount of Spray malt and topped up to 5 litres.Re tested at 1.032.
The Eagle Stout is away and chugging like a goodun already,that is really fast:thumb:

I think this is a very sound idea in principle, this re-mashing. It may make more sense on a larger scale, though, just because of the need to hold temperatures within certain limits.

I am playing with the medieval idea of getting multiple (well, two) brews from the same grain. Parti-gyle is the name given now, but it just means more than one brew from a single grain bill.

I've done one and feel the need to do another, even though the first of the two brews from # 1 is only due for bottling tomorrow.

I think this is a very sound idea in principle, this re-mashing. It may make more sense on a larger scale, though, just because of the need to hold temperatures within certain limits.

I am playing with the medieval idea of getting multiple (well, two) brews from the same grain. Parti-gyle is the name given now, but it just means more than one brew from a single grain bill.

I've done one and feel the need to do another, even though the first of the two brews from # 1 is only due for bottling tomorrow.
:thumb:
I only ever do 5/10 litre batches anyway.This was purely an experiment.See how it pans out,if it works then i will do a bigger batch of something else,possibly a strong ale or something along those lines and get a second brew from that one..If it's a failure ,well not wasted much in the way of grains etc:lol:.

Well the double stout is still fermenting:smile:,at this rate it should end up around 9% as was expected.
The secondary brew from it is almost done.has the colour of a darkish mild and should be around 3.5% or so and lightly hopped. If it drinks well when bottled i shall be doing another 'double up' brew:mrgreen:

Just bottled the stout at 8.4% so a tad under expected abv. Putting it away now for as long as i can control myself:lol:

Opened up a very early bottle of the partygyled brew,it's drinkeable,not at all bad.Has come out like a mid colour mild i guess.Worth the experiment:thumb:

Back