soon be time for a bbq

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait - I bought a little picnic barbecue at the end of last summer that's the ideal size for daily use for my lot. Hope to use it several times a week if the weather allows!

funny you should mention that... i cleaned my grills yesterday :grin::grin:
and don't forget the food will go grate with that beer you making out of that new ace micro brewery
sorry could not resist that:whistle::thumb:

It's weird how we all only use ours in the summer.
Some friends of ours in Canada use theirs all year round and they have extreme temperatures. They bbq when it's snowing and temps down to -15oc and lower.

yep that's right I have also had my smoker going in the winter

I use my BBQ all year round. I've stood out in the rain with Gazebo or Umbrella up many a time.

Can't beat flame grilled meat!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mmmm, looking forward to getting the barbecue out again + cider.

It's one of my long term plans to do some slow and low / smoking. Looks well tasty. Kids, DIY, etc. all get in the way at the moment.

Had my first fire of the year in the back garden on Saturday. I had marinated some cubes of lamb in garlic,ginger chilli and soy and skewered them and cooked them one at a time over the fire. It's a small fire so 1/2 - 3/4 of a pallet split down will last 5-6 hours. No tech allowed (apart from a quick pic) just my transistor radio, bliss.

image.jpeg

I bbq all year round, probably more in the cooler months than the summer.
Converted a steel barrel into a bbq oven which is great for huge chunks of meat.
Fill it up with charcoal and a chunk or two of apple wood, slap in a dressed up pork shoulder or brisket and let it do it's own thing for a few hours.
Whole chickens...no problem
Mountains of maple bacon..nomnomnom

I bbq all year round, probably more in the cooler months than the summer.
Converted a steel barrel into a bbq oven which is great for huge chunks of meat.
Fill it up with charcoal and a chunk or two of apple wood, slap in a dressed up pork shoulder or brisket and let it do it's own thing for a few hours.
Whole chickens...no problem
Mountains of maple bacon..nomnomnom

I did the same last year mate from an old steel drum.
It's a beast when she's going but no joint too big !

I'm inspired by this thread to do some BBQ cooking this weekend .

Who's got a decent fish recipe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Tip for BBQing....Use restaurant grade charcoal (available from MaltMiller)
These are really big pieces of charcoal that burn at a much higher temprature for longer.
Light your BBQ 2 hours before you start cooking, wait until all the flames have gone out and then cook on the very hot charcoal. Dont be tempted to cook if there are still flames present because....a, its not hot enough....b, all you will get is soot flavoured food
Your Welcome

I have a ProQ Frontier smoker and a Dancook 1300 BBQ that are both in use year round.

They are truly compatible pastimes when married to drinking beer. I reckon that sitting out in the garden drinking homemade beer whilst something cooks or smokes is one of life's ultimate pleasures! :thumb:

My own tip for this Thread is to NEVER wrap anything that you have smoked in aluminium foil if you want to preserve it for any length of time.

Going out to Spain for the winter one year I cold smoked and wrapped in aluminium foil about 3 kilos of cheese with a view to enjoying it throughout the winter.

Within a few weeks the aluminium had become welded to the cheese like gold foil on a picture frame and by the time I had trimmed it all off not only had I had lost about 20% of the cheese I had also lost a lot of the "smoky" flavour! :doh:

My UDS is on every other weekend, come sleet snow rain or shine :)

Doesnt have to be warm for me to smoke.

Back