43 year old wine!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I was nipping out to the shed to grab a pint and my neighbour was doing a bit of gardening. I stopped for a quick chat and offered her a taster, it must have been good because she swiftly ordered her husband Ron (who is 90 this year) out to try some, he seemed very impressed with it, told me to wait there and went back inside. He returned with 2 Demi johns and a bottle of homemade wine that he made back in 1974.......1974! He said he is t interested in drinking it and gave it to me. I am slightly overwhelmed I cannot believe this has been sitting in his cupboard all this time.....it's 16 years older than me! Now I know it could be vinegar, but it could also be the best thing I ever try, I doubt I will ever get to drink something this old again in my life I feel very privileged.

I'm guessing once opened that I will need to consume it fairly quickly, anyone got any tips? I'm way out of my depth.

Cheers

Jake

IMG_0637.jpg

Give it a whirl....could be superb. If you are calling from the local casualty unit, I think we will know the answer

My next door neighbourbrought out a bottle of home wine he bottled with his dad in 1965! They even had made labels for it. He found some of the bottles when clearing out his mums house after she was admitted to a nursing home. It looked clear enough but there was about 20% evaporation so I dont think he would be.trying it. Just a talking piece now on his sideboard

The evaporation on the elderberry doesn't look to bad. That apple looks a bit cloudy, if any of them are still cloudy then I would think twice. If they smell ok to you and your swmbo then give it a taste and if ok chuck a crushed camden in for safe measure and bottle.

save it for a BBQ - if its any good, then quickly squirrel it away.
if it tastes like ****, then make a big batch of punch

save it for a BBQ - if its any good, then quickly squirrel it away.
if it tastes like ****, then make a big batch of punch

Kim jong un has been looking for these ingredients for years to continue his chemical warfare experiments, it looks rum tackle that mate , should of cleared after 43 yrs, mind it might need another 20 to reach its prime, dont want to be a kill joy but i cant see it being any good , but i hope its magic stuff , will be looking for your update and tasting notes :lol::thumb:

Back