Today's Screw-Up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There may already be a Thread dedicated to this subject but if so, I can't find it!

The reason for me Posting this today is because:

One
I pre-heated the Mash Tun but forgot to close the tap before pouring the hot water into it. "Mop-up Time!" again, after a brief dance to avoid the hot water and close the tap. :whistle:

Two
I succeeded in reducing the brew time by splitting the wort into two containers to bring it up to the boil quicker. :thumb:

However, I managed to spill boiling wort over my hand when transferring the wort to the main boiler and I now have a red patch on my right hand where I managed to scald myself. :doh:

Nothing terribly serious but it did remind me of my Mum who responded to any self-inflicted injuries with ...
"It's only pain. It will go away eventually."​
The word "eventually" always seemed ominous to me! :whistle:

Anyway, here's a place where confessions and transgressions can be listed so that we may learn from each others stupidity! :thumb: :thumb:

Back in my extract days: don't put LME into the boil kettle with the flame on! It was the best burnt barleywine I ever made! :doh:

Hahaha!
I should have my own thread!!
Just getting up, thinking and acting is a struggle..
My latest ones...
Re-learning the ingredients measurements (for example) 0.07kg isn't 700g's!!
I put more flaked rice in a lager!!!!
Moorish and sickly! Least only a 10l batch..:-(
Managed to dry hops the lager with German lager hops in the keg but the bottes are no go!
2. Messed up a Saison ingredients...
Was reading the wrong page...too late after the boil thought "bloody hell looks like a Stout!"
Wasn't happy with it and the taste was all wrong! Doon the drain...
3. Every time I connect the corni keg (thebeer line) befor attracting to the tap! Beer alles ubber!! :-(
4. Forget taking the headspace from a new filled keg!
The list could on n on...
Like this morning I bounce out of bed...forgot my left leg and left arm doesnt work properly...lucky I had a soft landing!!
I'm a menace lol
Bri

Manx, you have a great attitude to life - I find your posts amusing and inspiring.
Me - I'm just a moaning old bugger! and I've been working on it for years!
All the best for your brewing
Cheers

I once accidentally switched on my electric boiler (with a 4kw element!) with no water in it. I plugged it in and walked out of the room, thankfully I came back a few seconds later. When I opened the door I thought the sun had fallen into my kitchen it was glowing so brightly, pretty terrifying actually! Amazingly the element is still working fine, about 5 brews later, though considerably blackened :?

There may already be a Thread dedicated to this subject but if so, I can't find it!

The reason for me Posting this today is because:

One
I pre-heated the Mash Tun but forgot to close the tap before pouring the hot water into it. "Mop-up Time!" again, after a brief dance to avoid the hot water and close the tap. :whistle:

Two
I succeeded in reducing the brew time by splitting the wort into two containers to bring it up to the boil quicker. :thumb:

However, I managed to spill boiling wort over my hand when transferring the wort to the main boiler and I now have a red patch on my right hand where I managed to scald myself. :doh:

Nothing terribly serious but it did remind me of my Mum who responded to any self-inflicted injuries with ...
"It's only pain. It will go away eventually."​
The word "eventually" always seemed ominous to me! :whistle:

Anyway, here's a place where confessions and transgressions can be listed so that we may learn from each others stupidity! :thumb: :thumb:

I've got a big blistered patch on my foot after splashing boiling hot wort on myself at the weekend. Even through trainer and sock it scalded me pretty badly. That was from stirring to get a whirlpool and catching the spoon on the barb for the thermometer in the boiler, I was pretty luck I didn't also splash and burn my hands.

Hahaha!
I should have my own thread!!
Just getting up, thinking and acting is a struggle..
My latest ones...
Re-learning the ingredients measurements (for example) 0.07kg isn't 700g's!!
I put more flaked rice in a lager!!!!
Moorish and sickly! Least only a 10l batch..:-(
Managed to dry hops the lager with German lager hops in the keg but the bottes are no go!
2. Messed up a Saison ingredients...
Was reading the wrong page...too late after the boil thought "bloody hell looks like a Stout!"
Wasn't happy with it and the taste was all wrong! Doon the drain...
3. Every time I connect the corni keg (thebeer line) befor attracting to the tap! Beer alles ubber!! :-(
4. Forget taking the headspace from a new filled keg!
The list could on n on...
Like this morning I bounce out of bed...forgot my left leg and left arm doesnt work properly...lucky I had a soft landing!!
I'm a menace lol
Bri
Jees Bri nearly fell over laughing.Thank goodness I was on the bowl hahaha 👍😂🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

I'm using the fish tank heater in a trug of water to control my fermentation temperature with a digital thermometer probe so i can check the temperature, should of been around 20c but i look at it yesterday morning and it's down to 16c take out the heater and turn it up and go to work.

Check it when i get home and it's still only 17c, heater must be broken i think, funny the lights on showing its working so I turn it up some more. It's only as I'm going to bed and check it again that i realise the probe is no longer in the water and I'm measuring the kitchen temperature.

2 Probes i had in there and they were both out, so much for temperature control, hopefully I will get away with it, was up to 23c when i realised what was happening still in range for S04 and I'm pretty sure it was at 19/20 for first few days when it really matters.

Oh, I forgot ...

Three

I temporarily switched off the STC 1000 controller, removed the bottles of Mild carbonating in the fridge and sprayed it with bleach to sanitise it before its next job.

I transferred the SMASH One Citra to the King Keg, added sugar and Citra Hop tea, put it in the fridge to carbonate and switched on the STC 1000 controller. "Job done!" :thumb:

About two hours later I checked the STC 1000 controller and discovered that the temperature was only 12 degrees instead of the required 20 degrees; so I opened the fridge door and immediately thought "Oops!!" :oops: :oops:

Investigation showed that the STC 1000 probe was still resting on the top of the bench and the temperature inside the fridge was 26 degrees! :doh:

I've convinced myself that the beer within the KK got nowhere near the 26 degrees air temperature; and live in hope that I'm right! :whistle:

Today, I used some spare grain instead of sugar in a Coopers Stout Kit.

In my wisdom I decided that the wort would need some bitterness during the boil; completely forgetting that the kit is already hopped! :doh:

It was at the end of the boil (15g of Perle Hop Leaf in for 60 minutes) that I remembered.

I tasted the sample used to get the OG and "Yep!" it is bitter ... :thumb:

... and should keep okay on the shelf for many months. Hopefully until it mellows! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back