Nottingham or Windsor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I have a Lallemand Windsor

348d30a64802c86c92bed76df5fb7034.jpg

And a Lallemand Nottingham

e9fcb24218768fa1d60f4e0230389d0a.jpg

I am planning on brewing a Rye IPA at the weekend and have everything but the Bry-97 or WLP001 I would normally use.

Could I swap it out with either of the above? Or should I suck it up and go and spend some money?

It just seems silly when I have stuff in the house already. I have all the malts and hops I need so would be going out just for yeast...

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Unless you have good temp. control I suggest Nottingham as Windsor can get stuck ferments easily if conditions are not perfect. If you have good temp. control Windsor will leave it sweeter than you would normally have an IPA but depends what you like.

Used Nottingham loads and usually ferments down to 1008 for IPA. Made the same ale with Windsor and it stuck at 1020 for a week and eventually got down to 1015 after a struggle and more yeast.Obviously a sweeter beer. Never used it since (last 2 years)

Thanks. I think it'll be the Nottingham. I do have a brew fridge however not really keen on it sticking for a week or so.

Will use the Windsor for a bitter or something another time.

Cheers! 😎👌🍻

For those in the thread that got a stuck fermentation, Windsor has a medium attenuation so its supposed to finish high. @the OP you could mix them 50\50 so you'd get the attenuation of Nottingham but the ester s of the with Windsor. So it would be more of an English ipa

Just used Windsor in an English IPA, it finished around 1016 so there's body and a certain sweetness to the final beer that as it matures is delicious. Why not split your batch and ferment half with the Windsor and half with the notty?

I like the idea of a split.. I never used windsor but would agree what it brings to the table would be a nice addition to an English IPA

You don;t want it to finish too low and its common for English IPAs to have FG of around 1014-1016

Just used Windsor in an English IPA, it finished around 1016 so there's body and a certain sweetness to the final beer that as it matures is delicious. Why not split your batch and ferment half with the Windsor and half with the notty?
I can only accommodate one FV in my brew fridge or I would. Wouldn't be a fair experiment otherwise.

I can only accommodate one FV in my brew fridge or I would. Wouldn't be a fair experiment otherwise.

Either yeast will give you a beer you'll enjoy but if you want to get a bit more flavour and body then go for the Windsor, make a starter keep an eye on the temp and give it a regular rouse and you'll end up with a more rewarding beer at the end of it.

Incidentally, I've lived both in Windsor and Nottingham, and the towns are quite like the yeasts they are named after. Windsor is rich, has lots of traditional character, but can clash with anything not fitting to its particular taste. Nottingham is less assuming, and happily accommodates a broader range of styles.

Back