Is my cider fermenting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterdex

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

Today I embarked on my first brew of Cider. Two 4 litre batches each in a 5 litre bottle (the ones for bottled water with the plastic handle on the neck)

I'm doing this on a shoestring so one bottle is juice from freshly squeezed apples.
The other 100% apple juice from concentrate.
I'm using Allison's yeast.

I've had some activity in regards to primary fermentation but not a lot.
No bubbles in the airlocks but a foam has formed at the top of each ?

I apologise in advance, you guys must get this all the time from amateurs such as myself 👍🙃

How long ago did you pitch the yeast in? If only a few hours ago then don't worry as dry yeast will take about 24 hours to get going. Also make sure the bottles are not in a cold place, less than 17c or 18c will make the yeast take longer to start. Allisons yeas is a bread yeast if I'm right so may take even longer.
Cheers

Phew ! That's put my mind at rest.
It's in the airing cupboard so there's a consistent cosy temperature, not too hot.

You dont want it too warm. If it gets too hot it starts producing acetyl and fusel alcohols which can give off flavours and headaches.

What temp is it at?

Room temperature (or not much above). Our airing cupboard is very spacious and never gets too hot.

Room temperature (or not much above). Our airing cupboard is very spacious and never gets too hot.

What i meant was what temperature is the cider. Room temperature can vary widely as well. Its fairly easy for it to get too warm i an airing cupboard. Do you have stick on thermometer on the FV or any other means of checking the temperature fairly accurately?

Some recent developments, the batch with the fresh squeezed apple juice in is in full blown fermentation.
The one with carton apple juice hasn't taken I think?
I did check that it was from concentrate but 100%, no preservatives.
I may have been wrong...

In any case that means I still get a good 5 litres of cider.

I haven't come across AJ cartons that have preservatives in then so you should be OK there...

I find cider can quite often start and complete fermentation without much to notice... usually a low foam (if any), but does usually change colour (lightens) once it's gotten going.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OK, so I took the cider last night and placed it in the fridge to stop the fermenting process.
This worked quite well and I filtered it into a new bottle and it's going to be clearing for the next ... however long.
Unfortunately, I think the brew will be unpalatable as I put sugar enough for 25L into 5L so it is exceedingly sweet!
Serves me right for not reading recipes correctly
It smells alcoholic with a nice well rounded cider smell but tastes like syrup.
Fortunately I have new equipment arriving tomorrow or Tuesday for a turbo cider brew.
8 litres (two 5L water bottles)
That's 4litres of must in each with a litre left for head room during primary fermentation.
Rest assured I will be checking and double checking the recipe which is on this forum entitled "how to make turbo cider"
I could not procure any malic acid but purchased some citric acid, pectolase and yeast nutrient from Wilko yesterday.
Just waiting of clear PVC tubing to make airlocks out of.
I'll be posting pictures on a new thread of this next brew.

So excited.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back