Rye crystal malt alterntive anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to try and brew Shipyard Rye Pale Ale and the website specifies that they use Crystal Rye Malt.Now I'm having issues trying to source but have come across this from Geterbrewed (CaraRye Weyermann Malt is used in speciality beers up to 15%, it produces a typical rye flavour with a nice brown colour.
EBC 150-200
Lovibond 57-76)

http://www.geterbrewed.com/cararye-weyermann/

I was looking at using the Andams Ghost Ship grist as a base for an ale and the clone reciepe of GS state that It uses Crystal Rye. I was just going to use the GEB cararye you linked. As I understand it Crystal malts and Cara Malts are different but close enough to be able to use them interchageably

I was looking at using the Andams Ghost Ship grist as a base for an ale and the clone reciepe of GS state that It uses Crystal Rye. I was just going to use the GEB cararye you linked. As I understand it Crystal malts and Cara Malts are different but close enough to be able to use them interchageably

In the Ghost Ship Clone attempt I have just made along with pale malt I used rye malt and carapils. Think I read a few recipes onine to put together my recipe. Taste very nice and pretty similar. I have a bottle of the proper stuff to taste along side at some point to compare.

I was looking around for crystal rye but seems to be rare and expensive but as it seems great minds think alike @MyQul
Cheers for the link @Crystal_Ball.Shall get a look later as I'm just going to work for the next 12 hours unfortunately 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

That cararye is rye crystal malt, it's just Weyermann's own brand name for it.

Ages ago I was wondering if Cara is just an Americanisation of our Crystal but it seem not. I did a bit of googling and there seem to be some differences but not so much you'd notice in a beer (unless you've got an excellent pallette)

In the Ghost Ship Clone attempt I have just made along with pale malt I used rye malt and carapils. Think I read a few recipes onine to put together my recipe. Taste very nice and pretty similar. I have a bottle of the proper stuff to taste along side at some point to compare.

I really like Ghost Ship. My local craft,artisan, hipster pub I go to has it on keg permanantly and often has it on Cask. I also have a Adnams pub not far from me too. So I get to drink it whenever I like. But seeing as GS has Citra as on of it's hops I wouldnt attempt to make a clone as I'm not paying the kind of prices demanded for Citra hops. I plan on just using the grist and whatever hops I have in my freezer to make a 'tribute to Ghost Ship'

I really like Ghost Ship. My local craft,artisan, hipster pub I go to has it on keg permanantly and often has it on Cask. I also have a Adnams pub not far from me too. So I get to drink it whenever I like. But seeing as GS has Citra as on of it's hops I wouldnt attempt to make a clone as I'm not paying the kind of prices demanded for Citra hops. I plan on just using the grist and whatever hops I have in my freezer to make a 'tribute to Ghost Ship'

Pretty much my favour beer of all time I think. My recipe has Citra and Amarillo so 2 hops that aren't cheap!

Ages ago I was wondering if Cara is just an Americanisation of our Crystal but it seem not. I did a bit of googling and there seem to be some differences but not so much you'd notice in a beer (unless you've got an excellent pallette)

I think if there is a difference it's no greater than the difference between two crystal malts from different maltsters. A crystal malt has a caramel flavour and a caramel malt is crystallised, hence the names. I'm pretty sure they are produced in exactly the same way.

I think if there is a difference it's no greater than the difference between two crystal malts from different maltsters. A crystal malt has a caramel flavour and a caramel malt is crystallised, hence the names. I'm pretty sure they are produced in exactly the same way.

Your right. But I could have sworn I read their was a difference in the way they were produced te last time I looked into this (although it was a long time ago). Perhaps I read a misleading article?

Your right. But I could have sworn I read their was a difference in the way they were produced te last time I looked into this (although it was a long time ago). Perhaps I read a misleading article?

What!? You mean to tell me that not everything on the internet is true? Just wait till the flat earthers hear about this!

Back