How to sweeten red wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panelbeater

Reaction score
I have recently started a Kenridge classic Pinot Noir.
I have not been brewing with wine kits for long and in the instructions it says these kits are made dry.
It says you can sweeten the wine at the stabilizing and clarification stage.I am wondering if i should sweeten as i quite like sweet wines but what should i use and in what quantity ?

I have used two methods:

1. Pretend that I always intended the wine to be drank as a Kir and add a small amount of Cassis, Grenadine, Peach or Strawberry syrup to the glass before it is poured. This is by far the easiest and tastiest way of doing it. :thumb:

2. Add Splenda tablets (a non-fermenting Sucralose sweetening product) to the wine bottles before filling them.

In both instances, you have to stay sober enough to complete the experimentation that allows you to sweeten the wine to your taste! :thumb:

A couple of crushed sacarin tablets in a bottle at the bottle-filling stage. But why would you want to sweeten Pinot Noir?

Just curious..!

I thought normal practise would be to stabilise it a few points before it reaches final gravity or if its stabilised you can just add sugar.

Latest posts

Back