Batch priming - why two FVs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my limited experience, I found priming each bottle pretty quick, think it was only 20mins (ish). If you add in the time to batch, clean etc there can't be much in it???

But never batching I don't have anything to base that on...

20 minutes????
After sanitising bottles I have them lined up on the draining board. Stick a funnel in the top, half a teaspoon of sugar in the funnel, put funnel in next bottle, fill the one you've just sugared. So about 3 seconds max extra per bottle.
I save more time than that anyway by not bothering with one of those stupid bottling wands, but filling the bottle straight from the tap.

So it seems to me it takes no longer anyway than it would for me to weigh out sugar for a batch prime and then stirring it in. Especially if you transfer the beer into a second FV so as not to disturb sediment.

i have a slightly different issue. I only use one fv and no bottling bucket.

I bottled a batch on Saturday, by batch priming instead of using carb drops. I mixed 115g ( aiming for 2.2 carbonation level)of brewing sugar with boiling water and left to cool to room temp.

However, after taking gravity readings, I think I may not of mixed it thoroughly enough and am worried about varying sugar levels and potential bottle bombs.

The brew had been in fv for four weeks and last time I checked gravity it was 1012 after about 3 weeks.

I forgot to check again before adding the priming solution but did check when bottling about half an hour later. The gravity of first sample, at the beginning of bottling was around 1020 whilst the gravity of last sample towards the end of bottling was around 1011.

Could the brewing sugar sugar be concentrated in early bottles and should I therefore be concerned about bottle bombs?

I bottled a batch on Saturday, by batch priming instead of using carb drops. I mixed 115g ( aiming for 2.2 carbonation level)of brewing sugar with boiling water and left to cool to room temp.

However, after taking gravity readings, I think I may not of mixed it thoroughly enough and am worried about varying sugar levels and potential bottle bombs.

The brew had been in fv for four weeks and last time I checked gravity it was 1012 after about 3 weeks.

I forgot to check again before adding the priming solution but did check when bottling about half an hour later. The gravity of first sample, at the beginning of bottling was around 1020 whilst the gravity of last sample towards the end of bottling was around 1011.

Could the brewing sugar sugar be concentrated in early bottles and should I therefore be concerned about bottle bombs?

Everyone gets way too hung up on this issue, relax, it will be fine.
As i said, i simply dump in the dextrose, wait ten minutes then bottle, i dont stir,nothing.
I dont take starting gravity or finished gravity readings,when its done, its done.

Well I suppose one advantage of using just one is that I can use both to be brewing beer in. I can see my other half being delighted about that.:D

As i said, i simply dump in the dextrose, wait ten minutes then bottle, i dont stir,nothing.
I dont take starting gravity or finished gravity readings,when its done, its done.

Just called a shop near me to ask if their brewing sugar was dextrose as fancy giving this method a bash. What a grumpy old sod (sorry but he was). Said "Why are you doing that, just use normal household sugar, or prime the bottles as it's better", went into one TBH, couldn't wait to get off the phone...

Anyway, just trying to find somewhere that has a few bags along with some Pectolase for my next brew...

can that Nylon sock be washed and reused? I might get some as need to filter our orange peal and grapefruit zest
yes it can be reused. Just boil for 3 minutes and place over the distal end of your syphon. Personally I syphon into a 5L jug and fill bottles with this and a funnel though some on here may frown about the practice since you are introducing oxygen. Ive never had an infection or grassy or oxidised beer.

Would it be ok adding the sugar an hour or two before bottling? Bought 1KG of dextrose thinking I would require tons but looking at my brewing instructions for wheat beer it says 8g per litre so i'll have enough for the next few batches ;)

Would it be ok adding the sugar an hour or two before bottling? Bought 1KG of dextrose thinking I would require tons but looking at my brewing instructions for wheat beer it says 8g per litre so i'll have enough for the next few batches ;)

I don't see why not?
Others may disagree but I have never done this, usually I'm ready to bottle when I add priming sugar

Ditto the above for "Don't see why not." but I have to ask "Why?"

It's so simple a job (dissolve the sugar in boiling water, cover, let it cool then gently stir it into the beer before bottling) is why I personally don't wait.

Even easier, do what I do, throw the lot in the FV, wait ten minutes then bottle, no stirring, no dissolving, nothing, then bottle.

IT WORKS

Far, far too much fuss over this simple procedure :thumb:

I bottled today :D

I did go into the secondary bucket. Quite glad I did so as I had right mix of different sized bottles in the end. Huge amounts of gunk left in the first FV, but in my excitement I totally forgot about the mesh socks that I'd bought. Beer looks very cloudy. I'm going to give a couple of weeks in the kitchen, but would be nice if it cleared slightly. Was thinking of putting it in the shed after that, but I'm not sure it's that cold...could do a few bottles in the fridge if I resist the the temptation to drink them. If you get the beer cold enough that it clears, if it gets moved, does it end up cloudy again, so you have to start the whole process again?

I bottled today :D

I did go into the secondary bucket. Quite glad I did so as I had right mix of different sized bottles in the end. Huge amounts of gunk left in the first FV, but in my excitement I totally forgot about the mesh socks that I'd bought. Beer looks very cloudy. I'm going to give a couple of weeks in the kitchen, but would be nice if it cleared slightly. Was thinking of putting it in the shed after that, but I'm not sure it's that cold...could do a few bottles in the fridge if I resist the the temptation to drink them. If you get the beer cold enough that it clears, if it gets moved, does it end up cloudy again, so you have to start the whole process again?
Home brew mesh socks will not filter out yeast, but will filter out hop particles.
If the yeast in a bottle has worked on the priming sugar, and there is nothing left for it to chomp on, it will then settle out. If its a flocculating yeast it should pack down better. Putting beer in the cold (esp. fridge temps) will encourage the yeast to drop quicker. If the yeast has done then won't cloud up again if put back in the warm. If it hasn't done, it might.

just to update, that was two months ago, and the 3 samples i tried so far and completely Flat. ive put them in a warm room for a week to see if that fixes it!

Back