Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all...
Anyone tried the Ginger Beer recipe in the Greg Hughes Book??
and how did it turn out
Im trying to make something the wife might drink:)

swmbo is a rose wine drinker but does like a light pale ale not too strong, nice little summer drink and not too gassy, found out last year when at a festival she tried the festival craft beer and ended up drinking it all day over anything else, tbh scared me a bit, hope i dont have to count my stock !! :)

swmbo is a rose wine drinker but does like a light pale ale not too strong, nice little summer drink and not too gassy, found out last year when at a festival she tried the festival craft beer and ended up drinking it all day over anything else, tbh scared me a bit, hope i dont have to count my stock !! :)

Sorry, my Mrs can't stand beer/hops so thought this may work, especially cold from the fridge on a hot summers day after a hard days graft

SWMBO and SWMBO2 (my daughter) have liked the Cerveza's and the Blondes where I don't add a boiled hop tea to up the bitterness. I prime them with 1tsp of sugar into 600ml bottles so when they're chilled down they have a nice crisp bite.

SWMBO and SWMBO2 (my daughter) have liked the Cerveza's and the Blondes where I don't add a boiled hop tea to up the bitterness. I prime them with 1tsp of sugar into 600ml bottles so when they're chilled down they have a nice crisp bite.
Sorry, but the topic is GINGER BEER

Okay, but it was yourself that introduced "something for the wife". (My God, I sound like an old-time Gentleman's Barber who used the same phrase or "something for the weekend"!) :grin:

Anyway, here's a lovely soft drink that is served cold, is sweet, is only mildly alcoholic and can be kept going all summer long by SWMBO herself!

It's called Bourru and it is made and sold in France in the Autumn. However, it can be made at home at any time and it beats Ginger Beer by a country mile.

Get a litre of Red Grape Juice from Lidl and a 2litre bottle of water.

Pour out three quarters of the water and pour in the Red Grape Juice.

Put a quarter packet of wine or beer yeast (bottom fermenting is preferred) into the bottle, tighten up the cap and shake.

Slack off the cap (it ferments and creates CO2) and leave the bottle in warm dark place for about 24 hours.

After 24 hours the contents should be fermenting nicely and at this time the bottle should be transferred to the fridge, with the cap still loosened.

When it is chilled you can drink as much as you like ... :thumb:

... but always leave about an inch in the bottom of the bottle so that all you have to do is to add the grape juice and water, move it to somewhere nice and warm and the process starts all over again. (I have had as many as six consecutive brews from the one quarter packet of yeast!)

The Bourru kept in the fridge is usually good as a sweet soft drink for about a week. After this time the yeast will have eaten most of the sugar and turned it into alcohol, thereby reducing the sweetness and increasing the alcohol content.

I kid you not when I say that on hot summer days it is a favourite drink of my own SWMBO ... :thumb:

... unfortunately, it is left up to me to make it! :doh:

Okay, but it was yourself that introduced "something for the wife". (My God, I sound like an old-time Gentleman's Barber who used the same phrase or "something for the weekend"!) :grin:

Anyway, here's a lovely soft drink that is served cold, is sweet, is only mildly alcoholic and can be kept going all summer long by SWMBO herself!

It's called Bourru and it is made and sold in France in the Autumn. However, it can be made at home at any time and it beats Ginger Beer by a country mile.

Get a litre of Red Grape Juice from Lidl and a 2litre bottle of water.

Pour out three quarters of the water and pour in the Red Grape Juice.

Put a quarter packet of wine or beer yeast (bottom fermenting is preferred) into the bottle, tighten up the cap and shake.

Slack off the cap (it ferments and creates CO2) and leave the bottle in warm dark place for about 24 hours.

After 24 hours the contents should be fermenting nicely and at this time the bottle should be transferred to the fridge, with the cap still loosened.

When it is chilled you can drink as much as you like ... :thumb:

... but always leave about an inch in the bottom of the bottle so that all you have to do is to add the grape juice and water, move it to somewhere nice and warm and the process starts all over again. (I have had as many as six consecutive brews from the one quarter packet of yeast!)

The Bourru kept in the fridge is usually good as a sweet soft drink for about a week. After this time the yeast will have eaten most of the sugar and turned it into alcohol, thereby reducing the sweetness and increasing the alcohol content.

I kid you not when I say that on hot summer days it is a favourite drink of my own SWMBO ... :thumb:

... unfortunately, it is left up to me to make it! :doh:
Now that is interesting and something I will definitely have a go at, and so simple.
Many thanks for the suggestion...excellent

I've made a lot of batches of ginger beer over the past two years, as my wife is a fan. I tried a Coopers kit one, which was pretty foul, then attempted the fiery ginger beer recipe on this forum a few times, but it always turned out too thin and dry, and needed a lot of lemonade or cordial added to make it drinkable, I tried sweetening with splenda, but didn't much like the taste of that either. Anyway, after trial and error, my latest 10 litre batch has turned out really good, nice and gingery but with a good body to it.

500g Extra Light Spraymalt
600g Caster sugar
350g golden caster sugar (the mix of sugars was down to what I had in the cupboard, but I think the golden stuff might aid the colour)
800g Taj frozen ginger (85p a bag from Morrisons, much easier than grating ginger root, and no taste difference at all that I can tell)
3tsp ground ginger (this is what seems to add the ginger heat, so you can up it if you like, or even add a few more teaspoons later in the FV, a sort of ginger dry hop)
1 squeezed chopped lemon
1 squeezed chopped lime
1 sachet cream of tartar

All boiled up in a few litres of water, then tipped into the FV and topped up with cold water.
1 Sachet of Wilkos Gervin yeast sprinkled.

It does benefit from a a good few weeks conditioning, but you should get a nice golden gingery thing at the end of it....

I've made a lot of batches of ginger beer over the past two years, as my wife is a fan. I tried a Coopers kit one, which was pretty foul, then attempted the fiery ginger beer recipe on this forum a few times, but it always turned out too thin and dry, and needed a lot of lemonade or cordial added to make it drinkable, I tried sweetening with splenda, but didn't much like the taste of that either. Anyway, after trial and error, my latest 10 litre batch has turned out really good, nice and gingery but with a good body to it.

500g Extra Light Spraymalt
600g Caster sugar
350g golden caster sugar (the mix of sugars was down to what I had in the cupboard, but I think the golden stuff might aid the colour)
800g Taj frozen ginger (85p a bag from Morrisons, much easier than grating ginger root, and no taste difference at all that I can tell)
3tsp ground ginger (this is what seems to add the ginger heat, so you can up it if you like, or even add a few more teaspoons later in the FV, a sort of ginger dry hop)
1 squeezed chopped lemon
1 squeezed chopped lime
1 sachet cream of tartar

All boiled up in a few litres of water, then tipped into the FV and topped up with cold water.
1 Sachet of Wilkos Gervin yeast sprinkled.

It does benefit from a a good few weeks conditioning, but you should get a nice golden gingery thing at the end of it....

Excellent. How many litres did you top it up to for the final volume?

Sorry, my Mrs can't stand beer/hops so thought this may work, especially cold from the fridge on a hot summers day after a hard days graft

try her with a slightly sweet cold rose petal wine it magic stuff , made now it will be drinkable end of June.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back