Shipyard Rye Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested in this fantastic tasting Ale I emailed them out of curiosity too see if I could get the ingredients to their product.
"
Hi just want to say that your Rye Pale Ale has to be one of the best beers I've ever tasted and as I'm a homebrewer I'm wondering if you could give an indication on the grain types used in this superb beverage.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thank you."
I have received the following from Alex their publicity contact I would assume.
Hi Gerry,

Thank you so much for the feedback I have passed it on to our head brewer,

We use:

Pale, Chocolate & Rye Crystal malts

Hops: Mosaic / Summit / Cascade / Amarillo / Citra; dry hopped with Amarillo & Citra

Any other questions drop me a bell,

Cheers

Alex

Sent:*17 March 2017 16:15

So I'll definitely try and replicate this but feel free to try if you like.I'm really impressed that there is still helpful people around and that they will pass on this info without being obliged.Cheers to Marston's.[emoji481] [emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21

Good work, i've recently tried it at the local Wetherspoons and as you say, it's a lovely drop, good value too at £2-79 per 500ml bottle. :thumb:

For anyone interested in this fantastic tasting Ale I emailed them out of curiosity too see if I could get the ingredients to their product.
"
Hi just want to say that your Rye Pale Ale has to be one of the best beers I've ever tasted and as I'm a homebrewer I'm wondering if you could give an indication on the grain types used in this superb beverage.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thank you."
I have received the following from Alex their publicity contact I would assume.
Hi Gerry,

Thank you so much for the feedback I have passed it on to our head brewer,

We use:

Pale, Chocolate & Rye Crystal malts

Hops: Mosaic / Summit / Cascade / Amarillo / Citra; dry hopped with Amarillo & Citra

Any other questions drop me a bell,

Cheers

Alex

Sent:*17 March 2017 16:15

So I'll definitely try and replicate this but feel free to try if you like.I'm really impressed that there is still helpful people around and that they will pass on this info without being obliged.Cheers to Marston's.[emoji481] [emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21

Ask him what EXACTLY the reciepe is :lol:

Ask him what EXACTLY the reciepe is :lol:

I think I was lucky enough to get a reply.I had put a recipe together myself only using summit and cascade in the boil but now I see they are using all the hops in the boil and Amarillo and Citra for dry hopping.I'm going to tinker a bit more with this although shall fire another email to see i I get a reply.

As I suspected@MyQul as the recipe is secret as is the yeast but he did give me something the gentleman he is.

Cheers

64c2d81fce3cb59538f6dc5e9c6d2b44.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21

I reviewed this brew and thoroughly enjoyed it! I couldn't be happier that I've got some info to help me clone it. Thank you so much for sharing!! Amazing!!

If you fancied checking out my review, here it is!

http://www.grizzlybrews.co.uk/reviews/brew-review/
The review is bang on to your palette but what really caught me was the subtle nutty caramel notes that lingered leaving you with a very morish feeling.All in all very good and an excellent Pale Ale.🍺👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

The review is bang on to your palette but what really caught me was the subtle nutty caramel notes that lingered leaving you with a very morish feeling.All in all very good and an excellent Pale Ale.🍺👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I'm a big fan of Rye in beer and I do love the earthy nutty flavours that it gives to a beer. I'll have to try it again soon and see if I can pick out the Caramel. I'm usually pretty underwhelmed by the ales that Tesco stock but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Again a big thanks for this info :thumb:

I'm a big fan of Rye in beer and I do love the earthy nutty flavours that it gives to a beer. I'll have to try it again soon and see if I can pick out the Caramel. I'm usually pretty underwhelmed by the ales that Tesco stock but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Again a big thanks for this info :thumb:
It was Wetherspoons where i had actually tasted it but must check out Tesco as the last Rye Pale Ale I tasted was the Guinness Rye Pale Ale and was not impressed 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

It was Wetherspoons where i had actually tasted it but must check out Tesco as the last Rye Pale Ale I tasted was the Guinness Rye Pale Ale and was not impressed 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I much prefer the Shipyard Rye to the Guinness one and at £1.47 a bottle at Morrisons, you can't go wrong!

Certainly is but going to be tricky to try and replicate. Putting a recipe together for myself and my mate one AG and one partial but 5 different hops in the boil with IBU of 46 then dry hopped so we're splitting the bill for hops and speciality malts.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I would love to be able to make something like the Shipyard American IPA. It's my favourite commercial brew at the moment, and at the moment it's on offer at Sainsbury's for £1.65 a bottle .

If anyone has any ideas on this recipe or contacts at Shipyard I'd be very grateful.

The blurb just says "a whole bunch of audacious American hops". "explodes with grapefruity citrus flavour" so I'm guessing Cascade is probably in there.

I went out and bought a bottle of Shipyard Rye IPA on the strength of this thread.
To be honest, while it was ok I didn't think it was anything special. Maybe my palate has been corrupted by the ultra hoppy ales I drink from my local craft bottle shop/bar and the beers I brew myself (not wanting to blow my own trumpet but some of them are rather splendid).

I went out and bought a bottle of Shipyard Rye IPA on the strength of this thread.
To be honest, while it was ok I didn't think it was anything special. Maybe my palate has been corrupted by the ultra hoppy ales I drink from my local craft bottle shop/bar and the beers I brew myself (not wanting to blow my own trumpet but some of them are rather splendid).
That's exactly why there's such a variety of beers in the world due too the complexity of people's pallets 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Brewed this clone on 04/07/17 and has turned out great except it's a little on the dark side but was surprised that my brewhouse effiency has turned out to be 77%.
Currntly in the fermenter.Shall defo have to perfect in colour though it then throws the ABV out but shall brew again.

This has been diluted to 23 litres to bring it to 1.046 but only had to dilute 15 and have put the other 3 litres into my second runnings to bump up the ABV.

Efficency.jpg

I was surprised it has chocolate malt in there; not sure about that! Also, does he mean rye crystal malt or rye and crystal malts? I don't taste rye crystal in it and that plus chocolate malt would be an odd choice given the hops.

I was surprised it has chocolate malt in there; not sure about that! Also, does he mean rye crystal malt or rye and crystal malts? I don't taste rye crystal in it and that plus chocolate malt would be an odd choice given the hops.
It's a weird one to pin down but given the clarity of what he has given we can only tinker with it until we get it near as mine is pretty dark so not sure exactly.

Gerry

Latest posts

Back