Nut Brown - almost a disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eramm01

Reaction score
I brewed a nut brown the other day (a regular recipe of mine) and had just put the malts (10lb pale, 1lb crystal) and 2½ gallon hot water in the mash tun. I leant over to get my thermometer to decide whether to add some cold or some boiling water to adjust the temperature - and it fell and broke on the floor; 2 hour before homebrew shop opened as well. I had no idea what the temperature was; whether it was busy converting the malt into unfermentable dextrins or whatever and too late to get the water out. :doh:
Two hours later I had a new thermometer - I measured the wort: spot on 68°c - how did that happen? :whistle:

I brewed a nut brown the other day (a regular recipe of mine) and had just put the malts (10lb pale, 1lb crystal) and 2½ gallon hot water in the mash tun. I leant over to get my thermometer to decide whether to add some cold or some boiling water to adjust the temperature - and it fell and broke ............

By the time I got as far as the above I already had visions of you scrapping the lot because the thermometer had broken and dumped its contents into the mash tun; so I would class that as a very lucky day! :thumb: :thumb:

I brewed a nut brown the other day (a regular recipe of mine) and had just put the malts (10lb pale, 1lb crystal) and 2½ gallon hot water in the mash tun. I leant over to get my thermometer to decide whether to add some cold or some boiling water to adjust the temperature - and it fell and broke on the floor; 2 hour before homebrew shop opened as well. I had no idea what the temperature was; whether it was busy converting the malt into unfermentable dextrins or whatever and too late to get the water out. :doh:
Two hours later I had a new thermometer - I measured the wort: spot on 68°c - how did that happen? :whistle:
I actually had visions of you knocking over the mash tun and spilling the mash all over the floor.Good save👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

You're both right there were several worse things that could've happened! I'm just looking forward to drinking it now!

After a couple of hours I would have expected the temperature to drop a little. Have you had a previous brew at 68° after 2 hours that had not dropped at all?

In 1½ hours my mashes rarely drop more than 1°c. It's kegged now at 1016°SG which I'm happy with for a nut brown.

Back