Sweet Spot For Bottled Beers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I was wondering at what point do bottled beers reach their peak conditioning and when does the beers condition start to deteriorate?
Does it vary much between beer styles or is it mostly decided on alcohol content?
My only input so far with my short history of brewing is my London Bitter which was a bit over hopped, has only just reached what I think is it's best after nearly 3 months.

It does vary a lot. I'm currently drinking an 8.5% New England IPA which I suspect is at its peak, despite only being in the bottle two weeks. The same abv Imperial Stout I would leave at least six months, probably more. Similarly, I would drink a 5% wheat beer straight after carbonation, but a similar abv lager I would let condition for a lot longer.

My only input so far with my short history of brewing is my London Bitter which was a bit over hopped, has only just reached what I think is it's best after nearly 3 months.

3 months seem to be the average. I'm just drinking a Porter I brewed before Xmas and it's much better now. Some higher-alcohol brews take much longer to come good e.g. the Brewferm Belgian kits take 8-9 months+.

I'm always too impatient and wonder why I'm disappointed for sampling brews too early.

I was wondering at what point do bottled beers reach their peak conditioning and when does the beers condition start to deteriorate?
Does it vary much between beer styles or is it mostly decided on alcohol content?

If you repeatedly make the same recipes, then your best bet is to taste them and note when they are at their best.

If you make different recipes all the time then you'll have to guage it based on similar brews.

Typically more complex grain bills need longer, as do higher abv brews. A huge variable is also storage conditions. You could be told a timeframe, but it's irrelevant unless you know the temperature(s) that the beer is stored at.

It also depends on how the beer is handled during fermentation. If you get a good clean ferment then your beer will be at its peak a lot sooner, because you're not waiting for off flavours to fade.

In short, it depends on your system.

In my experience hoppy IPAs can lose there hoppyness quite quickly and can be at there best as soon as carbonated while darker grain forward beers can get better over months.

It depends on lots of things.

Dark and amber beers take age very well but blonds don't so much as the oxidation really stands out after a while.

Hop aroma will fade over time so very hoppy beers are better young.

Strong beers need more age than weaker beers and also if you make a lot of errors then age can smooth them out sometimes.

There are loads of factors!

Back