First BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobShamrock

Reaction score
Hey Gang, after two years of kits I'm trying my hand at all grain, did first BIAB with a new ACE electric boiler.

All went relatively ok, when I say ok, couple things I did note.

Overfilled kettle expecting grain to soak more water than it did, no biggy I just drained some away at the start.

But after the 60min boil and hop additions and chilling I clogged the bazooka filter and in my inexperience just poured the lot thru a sterilized sive and into fermenter.

Did I do wrong ??

So no harm done but just up ending the boiler and emptying the strained lot into the fermenter?, I've a hop spider on the way hopefully be here in time for next brew. Gonna use a mash tun for 2nd go as larger grain bill and dont want to struggle

I don't have a tap on my kettle, so I just pour through a straining bag or sieve without any issues.

Listened to a Brulosophy podcast today where they experimented pouring all the hop debris, hot break, cold break etc from kettle into the fermenter and it made no difference to their beer other than speeding up the fermentation.

I'd say don't worry about it :thumb:

I'm assuming that the ACE boilers have a covered element. If so you could try using your BIAB bag as a hop filter.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I don't have a tap on my kettle, so I just pour through a straining bag or sieve without any issues.

Listened to a Brulosophy podcast today where they experimented pouring all the hop debris, hot break, cold break etc from kettle into the fermenter and it made no difference to their beer other than speeding up the fermentation.

Actually, the more Brulosophy I read, the more it seems that cleanliness and sanitation are pretty much the only things that actually make much difference, in the end.

All my cocked up brews have been fine, just a pain for a short while, then off they go...

Now that you mention speedy fermentation, checked it yesterday evening down to 1.014 after days, didnt check before now, would normally leave two full weeks to check, alot of trub can be seen in bottom of fermenter had to run a couple trial jars off to get a clear sample, already good and clear.

Thinking of racking off tonight or tuesday night. That a good idea?, might not be able to bottle it this weekend so gonna hold off on Dry Hop till I know when I can bottle it? What temp will I store the racked beer off at ??

I'd leave it for the full 14 days in the FV. Maybe give it a very gentle stir with a sterile spoon today to encourage the yeast to finish up. If you have temperature control, raise it a few degrees to compensate for the heat drop that occurs when the yeast are no longer at peak activity.

Yeah, I've brew fridge with inkbird, was set to 20.3 c, Normally would leave the 14 so I'll do that

Back