Brew fridge questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
Hello All,

I did set up my brew fridge using an inkbird controller and a tube heater (40w). It worked great for one brew then the heater packed up :-(. I'd like to try another option than buying a new tube heater.

I have a spare new fish tank heater, is it possible to place the fish tank heater in the FV with the probe from inkbird also in the FV, so both are directly in the wort/beer.

The heater would of course be plugged into the inkbird with the fridge.

Good or bad idea?

I looked at that. So people are just setting the hair dryer on low heat and leaving it at that. It seems a very simple way to do it just a quick blast of warm air.

Hello All,

I did set up my brew fridge using an inkbird controller and a tube heater (40w). It worked great for one brew then the heater packed up :-(. I'd like to try another option than buying a new tube heater.

I have a spare new fish tank heater, is it possible to place the fish tank heater in the FV with the probe from inkbird also in the FV, so both are directly in the wort/beer.

The heater would of course be plugged into the inkbird with the fridge.

Good or bad idea?

Yes you can however you run a greater risk of infection as the fishtank heaters are impossible to sanitise effectively. I did this method before I built my fermenting fridge and got lucky but I wouldn't recommend it!

DA

I looked at that. So people are just setting the hair dryer on low heat and leaving it at that. It seems a very simple way to do it just a quick blast of warm air.

I don't think it matters what setting you have it on as the controller will turn it off but i would not lay it at the bottom in case of leaks.

I don't think it matters what setting you have it on as the controller will turn it off but i would not lay it at the bottom in case of leaks.

alright, I'm one who uses a cheapo little hairdryer and set it on low and suspend it at the top of the fridge and have it controlled by the hot side of my STC. Works a treat it's just a simple small fan that heats the space in no time.:thumb:

Works for me. 3 years constant use...A hairdrier wont do that.

007.jpg

I used a 60w tube heater on the above cabinet but it really sturggled. With a fan heater you get the benefit of circulating the air all around the cabinet, so no cold places.

I suggested using a fan heater in another thread and was told because of the height and size you couldn't put it somewhere safe if you had a leak.

It wont fit in a small "under fridge". It doesnt have to be a old fridge either. Any insulated box will do.

The old display fridges are a lot more common than you think

To be honest if it were me i would use one of these in a standard fridge (as i think it would fit) and hope the FV didn't leak, i don't have a tap on my FV and i use a blow off tube so there is almost no risk of a leak.

4153238_R_SET

I just bought a tube heater from Toolstation for my under counter fridge. They deliver free and email a receipt to you so you can't lose it. Unit is guaranteed for 12 months, so any problems and they give you a new one. Tube heater is leak proof to IP44 and only 60W. What could be better?

If you go down the fish tank heater then why use the inkbird? Doesn't the fish tank heater have a thermostat?

Yes it does but it still needs to cool if I overshoot the temp.

Hair dryer seems a cheap simple option or a small fan heater. I guess either one will not be on for long to heat up a tiny space like a fridge.

Yes it does but it still needs to cool if I overshoot the temp.

Hair dryer seems a cheap simple option or a small fan heater. I guess either one will not be on for long to heat up a tiny space like a fridge.

It is not the space you want to heat up its the wort.

It is not the space you want to heat up its the wort.

Right but that would be the same for a tube heater etc and the fridge cools the space not the wort..Are you saying use the fish tank heater or brew belt/mat?

I guess there is no right answer!

Your both right, the wort has got to be in the right temp range before it goes into the fermentation cabinet.
A fermentation cabinet will not heat up your wort, well, it wiil do, but it will take a long time, Many weeks)

Latest posts

Back