what am i going to be doing this afternoon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
finely iv got a local that will let me have there empties :party:
they have got a wedding tonight so will be going again tomorrow
but i will be washing bottles this afternoon

thanks the 330 will be fine for my cider and the 160's will do for any wine i do.

That's most of them washed and de labeled just the bulbmer to do as the labels don't like ti come off in hot water and daz

11 bulbmers
2 newki
12 j2o
22 britvic 160ml
1 bud

I find that soaking over night with hot soapy water does the trick. For the bulmers ones after an overnight soak, if you hold the foil bit with one hand and twist with the other you should find they slide off, some are a pain though and need to be scraped off :roll:

Iv got some halogen hob cleaning pads that gets all the glue and foil off but the labels needed scraping off all the other labels washed off after 20minutes . I hate the bottles with the plastic labels I just bin them now it get some.
I'm still short of green/browns tor my brew but going back to the pub in the morning for more

next door had some friends over last night so i asked if they could save me the bottles :D

when out this morning and found 12 clear foster bottles lined up my fence :thumb:

I used to use 250ml and 330 ml bottles when i got back into brewing the other year, but found it to be more of a pain in the ****, filling about 90 little bottles, so skipped the lot!

you must have a lot of patience!
:D :D

Watch out for the J20 ones as they are not designed to hold pressure. Just a heads up!

D :thumb:

i would use pint bottles or mini kegs but as this brew is 7.2% not sure gone for the smaller ones this time.

will use the j2o 's for wine

we had another message over the weekend from another local so hope to go today and see what they have got. hoping for more brown bottles this times as they said they sell alot of bottled cider. got my tray and rhino tub ready

I just stick em in the dishwasher, everything comes off. Just remember to clear your dishwasher filter afterwards, otherwise you'll get paper clogging it up!

hypnoticmonkey said:
I just stick em in the dishwasher, everything comes off. Just remember to clear your dishwasher filter afterwards, otherwise you'll get paper clogging it up!

i would but dont have a dishwasher(thats me)

If I am unfortunate to receive a shed load of bottles from an unreliable source (i.e can't be sure they have been cleaned) then a black dustbin filled with bleach solution (2 fl oz bleach per gallon) . . . bottles get submerged in the solution . . . and the lid goes on . . . after a couple of weeks they are taken out a couple at a time, the labels should have floated off, the bottles are rinsed, drained and filled with hot water . . . drained sprayed with star san and capped. . . . . . Luckily I don't bottle very many from a batch :D so this slow process works for me

i find a cap of daz in a rhino full of hot water over night seems to work but bulmers labels take a bit longer .

just been on a bottle run and came back with 18 brown and 2 clear all pints. one of my pubs dont open in the day during the week so i might give that one up as a loss. did manage to call at a 3 more pubs one is going to save brown bottles to pick up once a week another is a sunday morning pick up(clear, brown and wine) and the other iv got to go back tomorrow morning :party:

for some reason round my way they just put bottles in the other food waste so i dont fancy having to dig in week old rubbish for a few bottles :sick:

another 12 pint bottles added to the shed. they had got a live band playing on sunday so i should get another load next week.

Back