waste disposal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
not really sure where to put this question, so please move if in the wrong section.

I have bought a new sink disposal unit to use as an apple grinder before pressing. the grinding chamber is galvanised steel with parts that are stainless steel. on the rubber mouth there feels like a bit of grease or something so I am assuming its inside aswell which will need removing before putting apples through.

what should I use to clean it before use and also after to prevent rusting or other problems. as its only going to be used for a short period then stored till next year.
thanks

Interesting way of grinding your apples. I'm not a cider maker or a plumber so can't help on the cleaning bit. But maybe really hot water and oxyclean may get rid of it. If you can plug one end so it fills, then run without draining. The turbulence should clean off the grease.

i would cut out the rubber, will make it easier to get the apples into the chamber... maybe... :hmm:

At work when working on the water mains sometimes we have to lift stuck covers, we have a food safe product which is basically a silicone spray the same they use in food production factories, after we have lifted the cover we spray this stuff and it helps for next time works a treat for keeping lids loose, after using your waste disposal unit you could spray liberally with this and bag it.

Haven't used it for awhile but I'm sure it's easy to find.

Latest posts

Back