Regulator modification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis88

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that my regulator pressure gauge (out) can be swapped for one that has a smaller increments ie a 0-30 psi one that would be better for my needs. What will happen if I do accidentally exceed the max stated 30psi, is it just a case of it will just constantly read 30psi even if it's over or will it explode? My current gauge is a 0-80psi one.

Assuming we are talking about a standard high pressure bottle.....Don't play with it...... I see a lot of posts like this on welding sites.... The general consensus is buy a different regulator if you have to,

The risk is small if you know what you are doing but potentially serious

Oh well that's that out of the window then. It's just very hard for me to see exactly what psi the corny is currently under for serving. Current regulator does it but there's always a bit of fiddling until it's right. My regulator is this one:

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=588

I was hoping to replace the left gauge with this:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure-Ga...d-/131096752597?nav=SEARCH&varId=430263541166

If it's not safe il stay clear of it. Thanks fella!

What you could do is get that gauge, another fitting for your gas in post, a john guest fitting for it and attach the gauge to a length of gas line. Pressurise your cylinder as normal, then attach the gauge, bleed off gas a bit at a time until you get your desired pressure? I certainly wouldn't be adapting your regulator - those big pub cylinders could be upto 200 bar (3000psi!)

I have swapped mine out, the replacement was only a few £s, you need to make sure you swap the correct only, the regulator one & not the bottle pressure one.

Ok thanks guys think I think I will leave it as is and go the route that ManseMasher spoke about.

Here we go.

This one is in line:

DSCF5091.jpg

It doesn't any pressure release but you can use the one on the corny lid.

Also this photo showing a different fitment using a 3 way JG tap

DSCF5093.jpg

To go back to the original question...

If the gauges get over-pressured it can strain and bend the little linkages and the gauge wont go back to zero anymore. I know, I've done it!

You can use low pressure regulators (secondary) downstream from your big regulator (primary), but you may find this overly complicated. This is what I do having my big "welding" primary to drop bottled CO2 pressure at about 900PSI down to 30PSI and then have small secondary (air-brush) regulators attached directly to the keg to drop this down to 5-15PSI (you'll struggle to get less than 5PSI, or 8PSI for that matter, unless you pay big bucks; don't take 0-30 too literally!).

Latest posts

Back