Outdoor Gas Burner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do gas bottles last? I'm thinking this may be a better option than an electric boiler, and also more future proof, but if i have to fill the gas every time then it wouldnt be very economical.

I've got a small 6kg propane cylinder and I reckon I've had it burning for 9-10 hrs so far. Only four brews but it takes 30 mins to get t strike temp and then 90 mins for wort to reafh boil and stay there for an hour. Trick is to get two cylinders so if one runs out mid boil you can switch quickly

Cheers, i was more worried that you would only get 1 or maybe 2 brews out of a cylinder. 4 to 5 would be perfect.

Here is a post i found on the subject -

I have a 10kg propane tank, and i reckon i get about 6 brewdays out of it, including heat for mash, sparge and 90m boil (probably close to 180mins per brewday total burner time) costs me £22 per bottle

The below is something I posted when I first started using gas. Back of fag packet calculations, 90 minute boil.

'Had a trial run today. 25 litres upto 76�c in 45 minutes, rolling boil in 75 minutes, and used 200g of butane in the process. So a brew day I reckon will use 500g. 4.5kg cylinder, so 9 - 10 brews out of it.'

I've since moved on to 13.5kg cylinders (one in use and one spare) so no matter how enthusiastic I get I should never run out!

Latest posts

Back