Help! Leaking tap - pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaisah16

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First brew is in the middle of second fermentation at the moment in its pressure barrel.

This is my first brew hence first time using my gear. Everything is going ok but my barrel tap was leaking from the tap itself, pretty much straight away. I left it for a few days trying to reposition the tap to see if it would stop, but it didn't. I contacted the seller of the barrel who sent a replacement tap. They advised to lie the barrel on its back, change the tap and re prime with sugar. I've done this, however the new tap also leaks. This time it is from the swivel housing of the tap. Not the seal to the barrel or the inside of the tap.

I'm getting quite disheartened now! I'm worried constantly introducing air to the barrel changing taps etc is going to spoil the brew.

The barrel is a Balliihoo 5 gallon, and the tap is one supplied by them. A standard 'easy pour' type tap, with a lever.

Should I give another tap a go? Are they're any other more reliable taps that would fit this barrel?

Help please :(

Just to add I have about a week left of 2nd fermentation on my original schedule before needing to transfer to somewhere colder.

I'm losing about 1/4 pint of brew a day via the leaky tap :( if you swivel the tap it leaks like a mofo' for a little while. I'm obviously worried about when it comes to pouring as the tap my move a bit.

If it's leaking from a different place, my advice would be to get straight back on to them, explain what exactly has happened, and that you are a) worried about losing a whole batch of beer and b) that you are concerned with their quality control. If they are decent (which I'm pretty sure they are) they won't be backwards in coming forward.

Already contacted them so hopefully get a response soon.

My fear is it will take at least another 3-4 days to get another tap and by then the brew should be done with its second fermentation.

Why effect if any will changing the tap at this stage have?

Cheers

Is fermentation finished? Have you got any bottles? If so, bottle the brew then sort the barrel in slow time.

I'm not familiar with their barrels, but did you vaseline the tap screwthreads? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this with these barrels).

How much priming sugar did you use?
If it has caused 2 different leaks could it be over primed?

No bottles unfortunately.

It's 10 days into second fermentation. I primed originally with 120g sugar. This is what the kit stated however I've been told this is low if anything for a lager.

The leaks started more or less as soon as the barrel was full. Pressure from priming would have been very low at this point.

I re-primed with 50g sugar only as i did fear I might over prime by adding another 120g (as advised by tap seller).

I don't think it's an over pressure thing. The 2nd leaky tap also started leaking about 30mins after replacing, so all gas/pressure was lost during the changeover

I'm not familiar with their barrels, but did you vaseline the tap screwthreads? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this with these barrels).

How much priming sugar did you use?
If it has caused 2 different leaks could it be over primed?
Yes mate I did Vaseline the seals. This leak is from the swivel part of the tap not the washer itself so that seal is holding. It's the actual body of the tap which has appeared to fail.

Good thing - you're still getting pressure so no air getting in. Get another tap (tell them how disgruntled you are), swap it again and fingers crossed. If it ends up ruined, tell them. In my mind, if it's their stuff that's ruined it, they at least owe you a replacement.

Same problem that I am having with the exact same keg.

I brought mine into the warm ready to secondary ferment again after it leaking out the top and noticed it leaking out the tap seal now :shock:

Going to try and repair the seal tonight and fingers crossed it will hold the pressure when it re-primes.

Will be sticking to bottles in future for lager for sure............................................................................. Until I can persuade the wife a corny keg kit is the best way to go :-D

Just tested my barrel. No pressure at all despite adding a co2 canister a few days ago.

What to do?

Replace tap that has now stopped leaking?
Just seal on lid?
Just rack off into bottles on weekend and try and rescue it and give up on the barrel?

Apart from the keg how much would all the other bits and pieces be to dispense a lovely pint?

Valve £25 - £30. Beer/gas line £5. co2 cylinders vary massively. I get mine from ALDD Salisbury for less than £15, but I have seen them for as much as £75! Dispensing party tap £4.

Don't forget though, once the initial outlay is done, you've a set up that will last for years, and I'd far rather sanitise one keg and a few bottles than 50 bottles at a time...

Valve �£25 - �£30. Beer/gas line �£5. co2 cylinders vary massively. I get mine from ALDD Salisbury for less than �£15, but I have seen them for as much as �£75! Dispensing party tap �£4.

Don't forget though, once the initial outlay is done, you've a set up that will last for years, and I'd far rather sanitise one keg and a few bottles than 50 bottles at a time...

Thanks something to consider for the future

Back