Octoberfest lager????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been asked to brew an Oktoberfest lager for someone who likes That kind of thing. I know nothing of brewing lager as until now my brewing has been exclusively ale.

Could anyone explain the process and how it differs from all grain bitter brewing?

Well to do a lager "properly" you need temperature control of some sort in order to ferment at 10° and then lager for a few weeks even colder. That being said, if you look at the Brulosophy site, there are fermentation temperature experiments with some lager yeasts fermented at ale temperatures without any negative effects.

Otherwise the process isn't much different. Aim for around 1.055 OG with roughly 40% pilsner malt, 30% munich malt, 25% vienna malt and 5% caramunich. Bitter to 25-30 IBU with a noble hop and include a small midboil addition. Ferment with S-23 yeast. After FG is reached, rack to secondary and lager for 4 weeks before bottling.

Thanks for that!
I have a spare fridge I could use with my ink bird to chill while fermenting and largering.
So I suppose it's possible.......

Latest posts

Back