Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was hard work building that lot up haha 😃

I only buy grolsch when it's on offer at asda mind you (�£1.66 a bottle) !

Phewww!
Nearly got more than me!! Tbh u can't beat them!
I'm alway on a look out..
I must have ova 150 brown bottles and 50+ grolsch bottle in circulation!
Now to put them into use...
Still need to get to Aldi for the starberry wine stuff!!
Good one m8...
Bri

Hi guys,
Just finished bottling up (48 nice big ones), however I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. At start of fermentation S.G was 1.040, which I believe was the expected value. Unfortunately I never took a F.G, just gave it the full 14 day in the bucket before bottling. However I did take a gravity reading after priming with 400ml of Lowicz, and I got a reading of 1.018?
Will this higher gravity reading cause any issues, I'm kind of thinking along the lines of bottle bombs? I work in the North Sea, and don't want to come back to my spare bedroom smelling of strawberries, with a new crunchy glass flooring.
Any help much appreciated.
Stu

Hmm tricky one mate

1.040 was good for a start point but agree that 1.018 is high for the finished brew plus primer.

Are you totally sure of the reading you just took ?

Was the lowicz primer well mixed in (ie not just poured in the top)

If both of the above are the case, I would say that the primary ferment hasn't quite finished, or the yeast has given up. Was it a yeast you've used before ?

I'd be inclined to bottle up though and store them suitably in case of explosion (in the bath with a blanket over ?) Till you get back onshore

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Roddy,
Thanks for the quick reply. Think I will go down the safe storage route, get them into plastic storage boxes and then into the bath before I head back to work. Still got 10 days leave remaining, so will keep a close eye on them, maybe crack one open after a week.

Aye, once you bottle up, they sound be carbed and cleared before you go anyway (should be ready to sample within a week)

I started a strawberry & Lime TC also Apple TC on the 18/5/ and the OG was 1.061 for the Strawberry and 1.04 for the Apple. For the last two days the gravity has been 1.002 and 1.003. does this mean it has finished fermenting or should it go below 1.000. I used the cider yeast with sweeter off Ebay.

Sorry Roddy what i meant is that i started the TC's on the 18th April this year. Not sure at these SG's if the fermentation is finished as these are my first attempts

I you're safe enough to assume they're finished mate, on to priming/bottling 😊

Thanks Roddy, so just another bit of help required please. Going to batch prime both TC's The Apple with 60g of sugar and the Strawberry with 80ml of syrup does this sound correct, and also what temp should it condition at and for how long. Thanks for all your help

Yeh sounds about right mate, 80ml of syrup is 68g of sugar so that one will be slightly fizzing

At least a week in a warm place (around 22deg would be good), although it will still carb up at lower Temps, just take a bit longer.

Ideally use at least one plastic bottle, so you can see how carbed it is because the bottle will get firm to the squeeze 😊

Good luck 😎

thats them bottled and in brew fridge at 21°C, will leave for a week or so and will be OK to try one or should i then place them in cold fridge for a while.

thats them bottled and in brew fridge at 21°C, will leave for a week or so and will be OK to try one or should i then place them in cold fridge for a while.

I have very limited experience wîth TC but my instruction was to give them a couple of weeks at the higher temp then move to cool area to improve. No harm though after the two weeks trying one, as I do, but chill it down well in the fridge first. ;)

Cracked open the first bottle of this tonight, wow :thumb:
Although only one week in the bottle, it has an amazing taste and smell. I can tell that this is going to be a very popular brew. However it is so nice and easy to drink, might lead me into some trouble :drunk:

Nice work matey, trouble is they disappear too fast 😁

I started fermenting this on Monday night, it's bubbling away. Thanks for the recipe Roddy [emoji4]

I adjusted it for 9L, I put in all the syrup including the priming syrup at the start by accident. Not sure whether to liquor back at the end and prime with table sugar or try and stop it early and bottle as is. Think it's probably not a good idea stopping it early. I'll let you all know how I get on. Could be strawberry and lime cider all over my kitchen ceiling!

Back in the game.....

25L of Cider popped on tonight

15L of Lidl vitafit
2 x 440ml Lowicz strawberry
1L strong tea (5 bag)
5tsp pectolase dissolved in some warm water
Juice of 6 fresh limes (one for you Mrc ☺)
Cider yeast with sweetener

Warmed 3L of aj and lowicz in pan until hot

Made up tea, left to stew

Emptied AJ into coopers FV
added hot AJ/lowicz
added tea
topped up to 25L with cold tap water
added lime juice
temp about 22deg
stirred in cider yeast with sweetener I got on ebay (thread on here somewhere)

Sg 1.040
intending to prime with another bottle of lowicz strawb, so est abv 6%

boom 😃

Hi there I see with this recipe that your not adding sugar there is enough in one bottle of Lowicz is it ??

Ah it was longer than I thought actually... doesn't time fly !

Bottled on 28th June, then about 7-10 days in the warm, then stashed in the cool under my stairs (once the PET bottles had firmed up and crystal clear

Back