20 litre pot to do a full 23 litre brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
still ivering and overing about having a go at all grain,so if I buy a 20 litre SS pot can I brew short with enough grain and then top up with water in the fv?any links on here about how to go about it? gotta give it a go before I curl up my toes:thumb:

If you do a partial mash and substitute some dme/sucrose sure,

for a full mash biab brew you may be able to push out somthing upto 4% abv when liquored back to 23l in the fv

but imho after a single brew in a small pot, with lots of mess due to boil and spalsh overs dont give yourself the grief and spend an extra tenner or so on at least a 33l pot or a 50l pot even would be best.. email the German ebay.fr sellers for an off ebay discounted price you can still pay via paypal for protection.. [email protected] (if my email addy is out of date search ebay.fr with "inox marmite 50l" to find sellers..)

I do 24L of (OG 1.036) beer with a 15L pot when I'm not doing 5L stove toppers. You'll easy be able to do 23L in a 20L pot. I used to use a 18L pot and could do 23L of up to about 5%ABV.

Although Fil's advice is sound. Bigger is better (I cover my hob in tin foil and cut a hole for the gas ring, in case of boil overs)

I bought 2 33 litre pots from malt miller. One with a tap and bazooka the other left as is for the hlt. Also a picnic cooler with bazooka mash tun.
Only used them once so far but everything went smoothly and was very easy.

I used to do 23l batches with a 19l stock pot, after a few I switched to a plastic fv boiler because my hob wasn’t really up to it, and then eventually went with a mash tun and separate boiler

My wok burner just about copes..I bring to the boil with the lid on to keep the heat in then remove. The boil is only gentle though. I did have it half over the back burner as well to see if that's quicker...it is! The inkbird bbq thermometer registered 100°c so it's OK.

Well I'm thinking we have a large centre burner (5 inch gas ) which is a wok burner on the gas hob but ideally would prefer a magnetic SS in case I get an induction hob eventually

Cant you brew outside on Propane?
Its very messy brewing inside on a domestic hob.
Much easier to brew outside with a gas burner.
Come over and Ill show you how easy it is.

With my new kit I made next to zero mess brewing in the kitchen. There was a bit of splashing from rinsing my tun out so I chuck a towel on the floor and wipe as you go. Plus a 10p size drop of wort on the stove!
You just have to plan it to death and make sure those taps are closed before you start filling up!

Latest posts

Back