The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say I have had a bad beer with the pale yeast. Must of used it over 20 times and always finishes at 1010 to1008.
@Mycul I am gonna do a salt caramel stout this weekend with the English yeast. Would you recommend a higher temp?

Yes, if you want esters. As mentioned when I did mild at normalish ale temp I found it relatively clean and could only get some of the esters I wanted at the top end of it's fermentation range

My ale is at 20 as per recipe and around mid way of the packet guide. It's bubbling nicely and looks like there's things swimming round in it!
I'm hoping to bottle my bipa early next week then brew Monday. ..could be a Yorkshire bitter with the CML ale.

I've changed my mind about the Real Ale yeast. I think the trick is to ferment it at the top of its fermentation range. I made a mild with it fermented at around 18C (iirc) and it was just to clean. But used the other half of the packet in an ordinary bitter. My kitchen floor was at about 23C (plus taking into account 1C/2C for fermentation temps to take it to 25C or so) and it was much more flavourful esterwise. I will be making another bitter with some Real Ale yeast soon
I was going to give up on bitter and also mild,only made the one decent bitter and that was extract.
I have a pack of the real ale yeast so may have a another go

I was going to give up on bitter and also mild,only made the one decent bitter and that was extract.
I have a pack of the real ale yeast so may have a another go

I would suggest a lowish OG as the real ale yeast is so malty. But tbh if you want to make a good bitter like you get in the best pubs you HAVE to use a good English yeast strain as bitters and English styles in general are so yeast driven. So you need a liquid/bottle cultured yeast and not dried as dried just doesnt cut the mustard for this style.

I would suggest a lowish OG as the real ale yeast is so malty. But tbh if you want to make a good bitter like you get in the best pubs you HAVE to use a good English yeast strain as bitters and English styles in general are so yeast driven. So you need a liquid/bottle cultured yeast and not dried as dried just doesnt cut the mustard for this style.
You did tell me that before:thumb:i am a lazy so and so and can't be a###d to culture:nono::mrgreen:and my small batches can't justify slinging in a liquid one.

You did tell me that before:thumb:i am a lazy so and so and can't be a###d to culture:nono::mrgreen:and my small batches can't justify slinging in a liquid one.

All the bitter I've made using either bought liquid or cultured up strains have been far superior than the bitters I've made using dried. You do 10L batches? I think it waould at most only take 2 steps. I've been reading some stuff over at jims that states (backed up with anecdotal evidence) we need far less yeast than we think we do

All the bitter I've made using either bought liquid or cultured up strains have been far superior than the bitters I've made using dried. You do 10L batches? I think it waould at most only take 2 steps. I've been reading some stuff over at jims that states (backed up with anecdotal evidence) we need far less yeast than we think we do
Yes i do the odd 10/12 litre batches.What liquid (bought) yeast would you recommend:thumb:

Yes i do the odd 10/12 litre batches.What liquid (bought) yeast would you recommend:thumb:

Being tight and perfering to culture up from the bottle I've only ever bought one and that was the Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire ale yeast (possibly the timothy taylor strain). It's got a great reputation and it lived up to it. It was superb

I'm liking Wyeast 1099 Whitbred Ale, the brown ale got a slightly cold fermentation and is quite clean allowing the crystal and chocolate malts to shine through. The bitter I've just done with it got a steady 20c in my new fridge and is brilliantly eatery and tasty.

Got a brown porter started yesterday with the 1469 bubbling nicely at 18c as I remember someone on here saying the esters go a bit OTT above 20c.

Being tight and perfering to culture up from the bottle I've only ever bought one and that was the Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire ale yeast (possibly the timothy taylor strain). It's got a great reputation and it lived up to it. It was superb
:thumb:cheers

And the mail address is monitored: I mailed them about somethings with their site and within hours (on a Sunday) they improved it! They're DEFINITELY on my go-to list now!

Good bunch of guys, very friendly. Got 4 packs of the real ale yeast in the post on Friday. Looking forward to try them

Latest posts

Back