Grainfather perforated plate seal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Got my nice shiny Grainfather. I am impressed! Lots of really good engineering in there. The nice thing is, I'm not getting sticky wort all over my floor anymore from my previous equipment.:thumb:

Loving the chiller and my brew days have sped up considerably.
Hubby helped me set it up because he was quite pulled in by the shiny and I think I may make a brewer out of him yet. Yay.:twisted:

Anyways, the perforated plate, that is not nice engineering. The silicone seal, that's a pain in the backside. I've tried searching around here and the internet, and from what I gather, the grain basket and the seal need to be wet. But it takes a good 15 minutes to get it to not slip off. Been sliding it down at an angle and trying to line up right at the bottom and you think you're getting there and boom, it comes off. Maybe it's one of those things that gets better with practise? I hope so, but would welcome any other tips?

Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert on the GF, still learning myself, but I find a few sprays of starsan works well as a lubricant. I too put it in at an angle then swivel it into position at the bottom.

Edit to add: geez this is an odd comment out of context :shock:

I second the use of starsan. Also I don't screw the pipework into the bottom plate until I've got the plate in place.

Keep the grain basket inside the GF as it's heating your mash water, once it's up to 50c or so lift it out and stick the bottom plate in then, the heat (expansion) combined with the water (lube) should let it slip in a tad easier for you.

I got infuriated with this on my first brew with the grainfather, was almost ready to send it back, it is a terrible design flaw. However, after trying starsan/wet/hot/cold etc, I personally found it much easyer to do it dry, and running the seal over my just crushed grains to cover it with flour/dust as a dry-lube :-?.

It is certainly a pita until you get used to it, slow and a good spread of the fingers around it as you push as much as possible, no matter what way you decide to try it does get easier.

Totally agree its a real pita, and i found the starsan tip AFTER i had struggled and gotten the damn thing in place dry, took a bloody age tho..

It is certainly a pita until you get used to it, slow and a good spread of the fingers around it as you push as much as possible, no matter what way you decide to try it does get easier.
Now if this post was taken on it's own....!:oops: Good job we all know what it's referring to :lol:

Glad Im not the only one. Total PITA, why not make the seal an extra 5mm wide and it wont slip off 20 f**king times before you finally get it on. I found it does get easier, not tried the starsan trick yet...

having had my GF for a few weeks now I am really pleased with it apart from the blee""g seal you would think that something as expensive as this would have had a better system,i must have tried 20/30 times before I got the seal to seat and I to was going to return it.....what I do now is when I have brewed,and I go into clean up mode I reassemble it then (whether it is something to do with the metal expanding with all the hot water I use) but I find it works for me.

Try putting the cylinder in while the mash water heats up, then put the plate in as the cylinder will expand a little making it easier to place

Back