Another yeast starter question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can I pitch one smack pack into 2 litres of starter wort and if so when fermented out how much can I save for my next brew and how much will go into my 23litre batch of 1.040 wort?
Thanks

I'm using Brewer's Friend. You can easily predict how much over-grown and reduce the amount pitched accordingly (saving the remainder).

I use the "Braukaiser - Stirplate" growth model and a starter gravity of 1.036.

I give (each step if using them) 18-20 hours at 20-22C and 4-6 hours to settle so I can decant off much of the spent liquid.

I'm using Brewer's Friend. You can easily predict how much over-grown and reduce the amount pitched accordingly (saving the remainder).

I use the "Braukaiser - Stirplate" growth model and a starter gravity of 1.036.

I give (each step if using them) 18-20 hours at 20-22C and 4-6 hours to settle so I can decant off much of the spent liquid.

Nice one that was easy, looks like I can make a one step 2 litre starter and save 0.5 litres for my next batch.
I wondered if over building starters and saving some is as good, concerning keeping a yeast over many generations, as is top cropping?

I have seen a calculator that will work out what you need to "over-build" a starter. But I found it very difficult to wield.

The "Brewers Friend" tool is much easier, even if there is a bit to do to figure out "over-builds". But the Brewers Friend lot don't care much for "free-loaders" and there are things you can't do - like save, and probably print (well I can't figure how). A bit inconvenient, but still the best free (and paid-for?) tool I've found.

(EDIT: As for keeping yeast over many generations, no idea 'cos I haven't attempted it).

I paid up for Brewers Friend a few months back with this forum's discount.
Still need to spend some time learning new features.

Back