Pico boiler dies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhorn

Regular.
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

It has rather been a while since I've posted. Not that I haven't been brewing, I've just been rather busy setting up a 2.5BBl brewery in my town. Exciting times....

Anyway, After my homemade boiler melted itself last autumn, I bought myself a Pico boiler and have been using that. Up until yesterday that is.

It happily mashed at 63°c (a drier than dry AIPA) and I went to turn it up to 80°c for a bit of a mash out, but it wouldn't set above 74°c for some reason.

I took the control box apart only to find that one of the wire terminals had completely melted and looked like it might have caught fire had I not turned it off.

I ended up having to boil in two batches over the firepit in the garden, which was actually quite good fun, but a complete faff.

I've contacted GEB, who I bought it from, but haven't heard back yet.

This does seem to be fairly poor for something specifically designed to boil lots of water for an hour or so. £100 for what is essentially a posh kettle is quite a lot and I'd expect it to be up to the job. Has anyone else had any similar issues or is this just an unfortunate one off?

I was given a Peco Boiler by fellow forumite Niman but my missus hated me brewing indoors so I had to store everything outside under a tarpaulin. Unfortunately just after XMas, the element packed in.

It's not an expensive fix, a new element costs £15 but if it's less than a year old I suspect Peco will just send you one for free.

I didn't fix mine (yet), instead I upgraded to the digital mash bin boiler. I have the reciept though and have this stored inside still in its box.

Afternoon all,

It has rather been a while since I've posted. Not that I haven't been brewing, I've just been rather busy setting up a 2.5BBl brewery in my town. Exciting times....

Anyway, After my homemade boiler melted itself last autumn, I bought myself a Pico boiler and have been using that. Up until yesterday that is.

It happily mashed at 63°c (a drier than dry AIPA) and I went to turn it up to 80°c for a bit of a mash out, but it wouldn't set above 74°c for some reason.

I took the control box apart only to find that one of the wire terminals had completely melted and looked like it might have caught fire had I not turned it off.

I ended up having to boil in two batches over the firepit in the garden, which was actually quite good fun, but a complete faff.

This does seem to be fairly poor for something specifically designed to boil lots of water for an hour or so. �£100 for what is essentially a posh kettle is quite a lot and I'd expect it to be up to the job. Has anyone else had any similar issues or is this just an unfortunate one off?

Well, much respect to Adrian at Peco.

He contacted me very apologetically, and said that they would be happy to replace the faulty unit free of charge and is sending postage for me to send back the original as well, so they can find out what happened.

Considering I've had it nearly a year, that's brilliant. A lot of companies would have just told me to take a jump.

It's always a worry with an electric boiler - sometime the thing is bound to pack up and what are you going to do with 30L of unboiled wort?

Hmm there seems to be a problem when it comes to Geterbrewed and there customer service.
My grainfather sparge heater packed in, admittedly I let it boil dry however the safety cut out switch should have prevented a melt down and it didn't operate. Called GEB and they pretty much didn't want to know, In the end I'v had to deal directly with Imake for a replacement.
Needless to say that GEB wont be getting my business any more.

Called GEB and they pretty much didn't want to know, In the end I'v had to deal directly with Imake for a replacement.

That is bit of a sweeping statement surely if its in warranty and faulty you are entitled to a replacement or your money back.

GEB were fine. Although admittedly all they had to do was pass my details onto Peco.

The only issue I've ever had with GEB is their website not being up to date with what's in stock, regarding yeast. I always check the site when ordering a custom kit and frequently get a call from them apologising and offering an alternative yeast.

not a big issue and they're always dead nice about it, but it is a bit annoying.

That is bit of a sweeping statement surely if its in warranty and faulty you are entitled to a replacement or your money back.

You would think so chippy but when I called them they pretty much said it wasn't their problem, very disappointing.

Well, much respect to Adrian at Peco.

He contacted me very apologetically, and said that they would be happy to replace the faulty unit free of charge and is sending postage for me to send back the original as well, so they can find out what happened.

Considering I've had it nearly a year, that's brilliant. A lot of companies would have just told me to take a jump.

Every time I hear about a company that ensure the happiness of customers and genuinely wants to know why when things have gone wrong, I smile inside.

Afternoon all,

This does seem to be fairly poor for something specifically designed to boil lots of water for an hour or so. �£100 for what is essentially a posh kettle is quite a lot and I'd expect it to be up to the job. Has anyone else had any similar issues or is this just an unfortunate one off?

Before I had my Grainfather I used the Pico thermostat which looks a bit like the STC-1000 and I've had a lot of issues over the years with it. The kettle plug melts, I've had to throw away an element before because the plug welded itself to the element. I've also had to open it up on occasions to see why it's not working.

Trouble is I'm terrible with electronics so I get my dad who is an electrical engineer to sort it out, but he find soldering components boring. I'd love to buy one which just works but it seems like there's nothing on the market. There are DIY options but as I say, I'm no good at that.

It's always a worry with an electric boiler - sometime the thing is bound to pack up and what are you going to do with 30L of unboiled wort?

That's a very really concern and one that I'm going to address with my Peco by adding a second element that will serve as an emergency standby. I just need my current single element to last for this weekend then I'll fit the backup.

Hmm there seems to be a problem when it comes to Geterbrewed and there customer service.
My grainfather sparge heater packed in, admittedly I let it boil dry however the safety cut out switch should have prevented a melt down and it didn't operate. Called GEB and they pretty much didn't want to know, In the end I'v had to deal directly with Imake for a replacement.
Needless to say that GEB wont be getting my business any more.

We would offer a different account of how this matter was dealt with, we try our very best to provide great customer service, your grainfather product was covered under warranty and we arranged for you to get a replacement. We hope this fault for which we had no control over doesn't stop you shopping with us again
Kind Regards
Jonathan

You would think so chippy but when I called them they pretty much said it wasn't their problem, very disappointing.

I have checked our emails and as soon as this was brought to our attention, Deborah forwarded a report to imake who own Grainfather and immediately sought to have them rectify the issue, my understanding is that you then subsequently received a replacement. We would never use the terminology 'it isn't our problem or give that impression' We are a family business and value each and everyone of our customers

Kind Regards

Jonathan

That's a very really concern and one that I'm going to address with my Peco by adding a second element that will serve as an emergency standby. I just need my current single element to last for this weekend then I'll fit the backup.
Yes, I have a second element too. My original motivation was that I didn't think one would be enough for a strong rolling boil, but actually it probably would have been fine. In any case, happy to have two in case one packs in.

Latest posts

Back