Crystal Malt - mistake?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've just made a batch of coopers stout and I think I have miscalculated the extra stuff I've thrown in.

I've add 2x 500g of chocolate malt, 2 x 500g extra dark spray malt and 2 x 500g of lactose (which is supposed to sweeten it).

It isn't sweet, it is very strong and I think its the chocolate malt.

I normally use a local brewing company but I wanted to know if there is a website that sells crystal malt but also gives a description about the charaterisitcs and what best to pair it with?

I LOVE stout but also have a sweet tooth, I wanted to make something sweeter. Similar to a chocolate milk shake stout. This isnt what I've got - its nice but very very strong. Not bad just not what I intended...

HELP?

Thanks as always.

A kilo of chocolate malt, in addition to the kit, PLUS the X-dark DME sounds like quite a lot.

You no doubt have something that's very roasty; burnt toast, black coffee, dark (not sweet) chocolate etc.

What exactly is your question about crystal? Are you hoping to replace some of the above ingredients with this for next time?

Hi

I was hoping for somewhere that sold crystal malt but gave information about what it should be used with.

What beer type it is best paired with and what the flavour characteristics would be.

I love stout, I'm not really a hop fan and enjoy making something different each time.

Thanks.

Hi Folks

I've just made a batch of coopers stout and I think I have miscalculated the extra stuff I've thrown in.

I've add 2x 500g of chocolate malt, 2 x 500g extra dark spray malt and 2 x 500g of lactose (which is supposed to sweeten it).

It isn't sweet, it is very strong and I think its the chocolate malt.

I normally use a local brewing company but I wanted to know if there is a website that sells crystal malt but also gives a description about the charaterisitcs and what best to pair it with?

I LOVE stout but also have a sweet tooth, I wanted to make something sweeter. Similar to a chocolate milk shake stout. This isnt what I've got - its nice but very very strong. Not bad just not what I intended...

HELP?

Thanks as always.
Unless you have brewed very short I don't believe your stout will be 'very strong' in alcohol, although it might in taste.
You have basically got a kit and a kilo, plus choccy malt and lactose. The first two are definitely mostly all fermentable, any fermentable sugars in the choccy malt will only be slight, and lactose doesn't ferment at all. What may may be bumping up your OG is the lactose, which doesn't ferment, so you will end up with a high FG as well.

Back