How to tell if beer is bad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabezag

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm? Have been allowed to break my sober October regime and test my first Biab brew. Compared to all my kits before this it is looking suspiciously cloudy. Trouble is it tastes fine. A pale ale with loads of hops. Are there any tell tale signs to look for?
This is the brew which I thought had stuck, but have tested with hygrometer and it has dropped from 1025 (refractometer) on kegging to 1010 in the jug! So the yeast survived and the the extra alcohol would have helped keep really bad nasties at bay. Drink it or dump the lot??
Picture attached.

View attachment IMG_2500.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No don't dump it: if it tastes fine, it is fine.

Did you use hop pellets? Sometimes they take longer to clear that brews made with leaf hops (in my experience). Stick the keg somewhere cool for a few days (garage/shed) so that any suspended yeast/hops drop out, and then try it.

I've made some evilly murky brews in my BIAB career, but would never have thought of throwing them out. If they taste fine they are fine. Buy a pewter tankard.
Or leave it a few weeks longer. It will get clearer in time especially if it's cold.

Did you use any fining agents like irish moss or protfloc tablets?

Large dry hops can also leave a haze.

As others have said, infected/bad beer is the only beer that doesn't taste good!

If you're in the UK, you are within 10 miles of a castle or castle ruins (Skyrim's Law). Odds are they sell earthenware mugs. Get one, you deserve it.

20171025_213523_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back