pumpkin wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crannman

Reaction score
hi all got loads of pumpkins at the allotment so looking for a pumpkin wine recipe :thumb:

hi all got loads of pumpkins at the allotment so looking for a pumpkin wine recipe :thumb:

I believe jack Keller has a pumpkin recipe on his site. I have one or two in my books, I'll post them on here later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I have several medium sized grey squashes on the allotment. I could use an easy recipe.

Here's one from jack kellers site, I'll post the one from the book later on:
Pumpkin Wine

5 lbs grated pumpkin flesh
3-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 oz citric acid
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1 finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet
6-1/2 pts water
wine yeast (see above)
Grate the pumpkin flesh mechanically (recommended) or by hand and set aside. Do NOT place chunks in a blender and attempt to chop them. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Place grated pumpkin flesh in primary and pour boiling water over pumpkin. Allow to cool to room temperature and add finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet. Cover primary and allow to sit 8-10 hours. Add pectic enzyme and allow to sit overnight. Next morning add citric acid, yeast nutrient, energizer and activated yeast. Cover primary and stir twice daily for three days, submerging "cap" as necessary to keep moist. Pour through a nylon straining bag and let pumpkin drip drain. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock. If you did not recover a full gallon of liquid, wait 5 days and top up as necessary. Rack after two weeks and again after additional 30 days, topping up and refitting airlock each time. Set aside for 3 months and then rack, stabilize, sweeten if desired (unlikely you will need to but...), wait 3 weeks for dead yeast to fall out, and rack into bottles. Set aside to drink next year at Thanksgiving or Christmas. [Adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z with major modifications by Jack Keller]

well I brewed it done first racking tastes ok a bit sweet but nice . very orange in colour nice smell to it lets see how it goes

ok so wine now bottled tasted very nice not to sweat didn't taste of pumpkins light golden in colour leave it now until December before cracking one open

ok so wine now bottled tasted very nice not to sweat didn't taste of pumpkins light golden in colour leave it now until December before cracking one open

It would help if you let everyone know the results just after Halloween 'cos that's when pumpkin prices drop from +/-£2 each to less than 20p each!:thumb:I know this because I always wait until after Halloween before making Pumpkin Ale.:gulp:

Guess that's one to add to the list of things to try.
As you grew your own, did you use a specific variety for sweetness or just a jack o lantern type?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers for that. Shall give it a whirl.

Jack Keller, when talking about watermelon wine, said it didn't turn out well but when he talked to someone whose watermelon wine was good, their secret was that the watermelons have to be sweet and ripe.

I guess that holds true for pumpkin too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back