Something Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richc

Regular.
Reaction score
This is an initial idea for a recipe, the concept being a Saison with a touch of extra sourness to it. Thoughts and comments would be appreciated....

3.5kg Pilsen Malt
1.0kg Munich Malt
0.3kg Acidulated Malt

35g Saaz 4% @ 60 minutes
50g Saaz 4% @ 20 minutes

Should give an OG of about 1050 and 31 IBU

Edit: oh the yeast will be WLP565

That looks really good. The only thing I did extra on my last one was throw in some coriander that I had left over from a witbier. I like the extra sourness idea!

I don't know how low 565 goes but saisons should be pretty dry. If it stops a bit higher than the multistrains DuPont etc. use then a bit of tartness will probably help. On the other hand if it goes low (mine went to 1004) then it might be a bit much. Then again maybe not, champagne is that kind of thing I suppose.

Other than that I think saisons quite often have some flaked wheat or spelt in there but I'm going from year old memory of doing mine (I used flaked). I would ferment warm to hot (25-30*C) to get it as dry as you can, probably start a bit lower and raise the temperature after a day or two to avoid excessive phenols.

Personally I'd ditch the coriander and rely on the yeast but I haven't used 565.

I like the idea of a touch of wheat though I'd be tempted to use wheat malt as I've already got some.

I was thinking about fermentation temperature, the data on the yeast says 20-24C and that it isn't very attenuative (65-75%). I think I'll probably follow your advice and start at 23C or so and raise up to 27C after a few days.

I don't think I'll add any spices as this is my first Saison and I only really want to muck with one thing at a time ;-)

Get some farmhouse fermentables in there! Wheat, oats maybe? I don't know how to style saaz are but tbh I don't know how much of a style there is really. The beauty of a farmhouse "style" is that you can justify sticking whatever in really :) as it is hard to imagine that the tradional method wasn't to stick in what was available. Of course, the main thing is to make a good beer and styles be damned in any case.

I used WGV and styrians, I think the citrussy hops go well with the dryness, lancssteve did one with Nelson Sauvin recently. The brewday thread is on here and there is a recipe thread on Jims with some good advice from Barley Water who, looking back at it, said he puts some lactic acid in his at bottling so you may be bang on the nose with the acid malt.

Latest posts

Back