help with barley wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
evening all

can anyone help me please, ive recently done a hart of england barley wine kit, i followed the instruction to the letter. i added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar when i bottled and the only change i made was replacing the kit yeast with a packet of S04. the problem im having is every time i open a bottle it comes flying out of the bottle. so the question is, will it be worthwhile opening all the bottles and transfering the beer to a keg? or just pouring it down the sink.

thanks in advance

dave

What size bottles DS?

You might want to make sure they are out of the way of the kids, just in case you have a bottle bomb :thumb:

I'm not sure on this, but I seem to remember some peeps talking about chilling the beer to let it absorb more co2 - it seems to work for bottling beer that's already carbonated, I think. Maybe if you chilled it down to about 2 deg C for a week or so it might help. I'm not to sure about how you'd get it back to drinking temp after opening and letting it keep it's fizz though :wha:

Wez said:
What size bottles DS?

You might want to make sure they are out of the way of the kids, just in case you have a bottle bomb :thumb:

1 pint bottles wez. and i moved them to the shed to condition so they are out of the way of the girls.

It sounds to me as though the SO4 has been able to ferment more of the complex sugars as well as your priming sugar :(
Try chilling them as much as possible, then open them a bottle at a time to release some of the pressure and then reseal them.
They will still be over carbonated but you might be able to pour them after this treatment :thumb:

problem solved, i placed a couple of bottles in the fridge for a couple of hours, when i opened them there was no overflow so i just drank my last 6 bottles last night, ;)
thank for the help again lads :thumb:

Back