Paul Hollywood - How to Bake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
Paul Hollywood - How to Bake...... Been looking at this book with a view to buy.. :hmm:

Anyone got it?

BB

No but it does look quite good. :thumb:

However if you want a proper baking book

This is good. :thumb:

or his other book

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll watch this with interest, I made my first bread at the weekend using the oven, not the breadmaker. Well I used the breadmaker to mix the dough then I transferred it to make bread rolls in the oven. They turned out great, but I'd love to learn how to not use the breadmaker at all.

Best bit of advice is to buy a baking stone or granite chopping board like thisto use as a baking stone. Put in the oven half an hour before baking to heat up. It will help your bread rise.

I'd actually advise against a baking "stone" because they generally have poor heat distribution.

You're better off with a cast iron baking slab, or just a big cast iron pan can work wonders.

Never had a problem with mine, put it in half an hour before as oven in heating up.

These were all cooked on one stone and no evidence of poor heat distribution.

Trafford-20130907-00042_zpsf12e64c5.jpg

Got book, very easy to follow with what look like good recipes of bread and some cakes!!

BB

I can thoroughly recommend "Bread Matters" by Andrew Whitley.

Excellent book.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Got book, very easy to follow with what look like good recipes of bread and some cakes!!

BB

Just need to get the pinny now :lol: :lol:

How was the pizza. ?

I've got a pizza stone, which is awesome. Great for pizza, and for bread.

One of my favourite recipes at the moment is THIS ciabatta recipe.

Great looking bread there grays. Will be good with your stilton :thumb:

I have a quick question.

I'm being lazy and have put the ingredients in the Breadmaker again to make some fresh rolls later.

The instructions I have are once the Breadmaker has done it's job in about 2:30, I get the dough out, split it into 8 equal pieces and shape as rolls.

Then I have to leave them to proove for about 30 minutes at 40C. I don't have anywhere in my kitchen that is 40 degrees, how critical is the temperature. The closest I have found so far is just to stand them on top of the cooker while the oven is on. Any top tips.

Runwell-Steve said:
I have a quick question.

I'm being lazy and have put the ingredients in the Breadmaker again to make some fresh rolls later.

The instructions I have are once the Breadmaker has done it's job in about 2:30, I get the dough out, split it into 8 equal pieces and shape as rolls.

Then I have to leave them to proove for about 30 minutes at 40C. I don't have anywhere in my kitchen that is 40 degrees, how critical is the temperature. The closest I have found so far is just to stand them on top of the cooker while the oven is on. Any top tips.

They will rise at enytemp just take longer . Sourdough will rise in the fridge over a 12-24 hour period.

Made a bloomer today with fresh yeast............WoW, tastes great :thumb: :thumb: got the texture great on this one by kneading longer!!

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
graysalchemy said:
Yes you need to pound it for a good 20 mins :thumb:
It was easy, pictured the wife.... could have gone on longer!!! :D

That's the end of bread making for me, the thought of BB pounding the wife for 20 minutes while I'm kneading is more than my sheltered mind can cope with :D:D:D:D

Runwell-Steve said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
graysalchemy said:
Yes you need to pound it for a good 20 mins :thumb:
It was easy, pictured the wife.... could have gone on longer!!! :D

That's the end of bread making for me, the thought of BB pounding the wife for 20 minutes while I'm kneading is more than my sheltered mind can cope with :D:D:D:D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back