Who cut the cheese??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam.k

Landlord.
Reaction score
so after seeing GA's amazing attempt at stilton myself and the wife decided to have a go at cheese making, we purchased a basic kit and got cracking

heres the curd forming

draining the whey

after first pressing

now we are leaving it to really press down over night with our Hi-Tech cheese press

more pictures will follow when we move onto the next stage.

Wow that is a great looking cheese. What's it going to be (not being rude but at this stage you can't tell :lol:)

All you need is a baguette to go with it.

Trafford-20130907-00042_zpsf12e64c5.jpg

:thumb: :thumb:

Hard cheddery/Cheshire something or another...

It's going to be cheese :)

:lol: :lol:

It will be cheese and it will be bloody good cheese :thumb:

If this works we are going to have a crack at Brie...
But it will be bree, as we arnt French and don't want any of that continental **** in our house...

Good old suthern 'ampshire bree.

I suppose I better learn to make cheese now. I joined this forum to make beer, I now have a smoker instead of a BBQ, I have made my own bacon and sausages, bake my own bread, shave with a proper razor, now I have to make cheese. Where will it end, I'll have my own smallholding soon at this rate.

Runwell-Steve said:
I suppose I better learn to make cheese now. I joined this forum to make beer, I now have a smoker instead of a BBQ, I have made my own bacon and sausages, bake my own bread, shave with a proper razor, now I have to make cheese. Where will it end, I'll have my own smallholding soon at this rate.

Have you read Glens Shed build thread. :whistle:

dennisking said:
Runwell-Steve said:

Have you read Glens Shed build thread. :whistle:

I looked at the pictures, I only have a small garden, no way I could fit a bar and cinema in. It would be nice though when I win the lottery.
My neighbour has converted his double garage into a bar so we are OK here. Proper Wurlitzer Juke box too and some pinball machines :)

Right, Stilton here I come :)

Ok pressing is done
772C94BE-4DC8-4D78-B77D-AC4549BD0FCD-11524-0000100A465C08D8_zps76899c49.jpg

Now to leave it to rind up then mature.

Runwell-Steve said:

You need one of these next to bake your bread in.

New-Jersey-Wood-Fired-Bread-Oven-3675-e1336767720743.jpg

:whistle: :whistle:

Thats what I want.

Actually it is my ambition to cook a meal which every component is made or by me ie wine, beer, bread , cheese etc. So I am starting off with a ploughmans lunch.

Bread :thumb:
Pickles :thumb:
Cheese :thumb:
Pork Pie:- need to learn this skill
Ham:- Again I need to learn to cure
Pale ale :thumb:
Salad:- well we grow Tomatoes :oops:

Actually I would like to do Charcuterie especially salamis and air dried ham.

427E6689-2-e1278778645372.jpg

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Have I given you a few more idea's Steve :lol:

If you need to know how to cure hams or how to make a pork pie gimmi a shout grey, being in the trade helps with meaty things :)

As for charcuterie, our climate isn't really suited to it, without the use of pretty hi tech gear you run the risk of a vtec 0157 (very nasty strain of E. coli) and botulism.

Just a warning :)

Thanks for the warning sam. i thought it was possible to use a fridge set up as you would for cheese. :hmm: :hmm:

Runwell-Steve said:

It's enough to drive you to drink!
Oh...

You could GA, If you wanted to go that route I would be tempted to use a bowl of salt to dry the air to retard bacterial growth.

well the first cheese has almost finished rinding up, im going to take it to work soon and vacpac it for maturing.

we have started another one today, I guess it could be called a farmhouse cheddar in the absence of a better name, I may buy some cheese wax at some point and just start waxing them all.

OK, had a look at the website linked above, so for £15 I can get the rennet and a coth to make hard cheese.

Can anyone tell me how many lots of cheese you can make with this, and what weight for each batch?

Also, how does the cost stack up, home made versus shop bought?

And, do I need to do anything to get it to really, REALLy age and become a very nice strong cheese?

As with Runwell-Steve, I only came here to learn how to make a decent ale from a kit, you lot got me doing AG, now it's cheese making, where will it all end?? :(

;)

The rennet will last you ages, as for a culture, if you are clever with sanitisation and freezing a culture can last forever, that said I'm using natural yogurt at the moment as a culture.
For hard cheese you need a mold so I would be tempted to go for the kit (£35) with the molds in.

Price wise, each cheese will use 5L of milk and make about a 450g cheese, so it's likely cheaper to buy cheese but its not half as fun :)

Latest posts

Back