Who cut the cheese??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most supermarkets sell a gallon of milk for around £2 so really it is cheaper than buying cheese especially if you make something like stilton. I used 12pts of milk and a carton of buttermilk, and that cost me £3.50 and i made 2lbs of stilton, if you bought that in the shops you would probably be paying at least a tenner. :thumb: :thumb:

I was thinking either a really 'vintage' cheese, or stilton, both of which tend to cost a bit more than the run of the mill, so it might be worth a serious look at.

I do love stilton and christmas is coming :)

If you get one on in the next few weeks it should be ready for christmas. :thumb:

sam.k said:
For hard cheese you need a mold so I would be tempted to go for the kit (£35) with the molds in.

There are plenty of food storage containers which could be modified to make a mold. i made one out of a Stainless utensil holder with the bottom cut off.

graysalchemy said:
If you get one on in the next few weeks it should be ready for christmas. :thumb:

OK, but if I end up hooked on cheese making as well as brewing then I'm gonna blame you, mkay?? :D :D

Nice to know the HLT has more than one use now, as will the fermenting fridge, I don't suppose beer and cheese 'ferment' at the same temperature??

Cheese is about 15c :( :(

Did find thiswere a lady's mild didn't start fermenting so she used some of the wort in a cheddar :hmm: :hmm:

So looking at those cake tins for making Brie wasn't to insane then!

graysalchemy said:
Cheese is about 15c :( :(

Did find thiswere a lady's mild didn't start fermenting so she used some of the wort in a cheddar :hmm: :hmm:

So, not quite cold enough for lagering then, and a tadd too chilly for beer...

Not even cool enough to put the stuff ready for drinking in either.

Where the heck am I going to put a fourth fridge?? Well? Eh?? ;)

Back