Sainsburys tv ad taking the P*SSS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ignoring the tv my eye was caught by the sainsburys ad where a fish finger sarny is made up with the prices of the ingredients flash up, but in the small print at the screen bottom it says

"prices based on perception june 2013'
Who's perception, now wonder the prices looked cheaper than the shop perhaps i should pay em my perception of the bill next time i shop there

WTF i paused it and just checked what perception ment in the dictionary...

Just in case, thought i knew but i had to double check, perhaps ive lived 50 odd years using the wrong word??

It really said "perception" ?
Very odd. Almost meaningless, in that context. Which would be why it got used I suppose.

I believe it is for their slogan "live well for less" where the actual sentence is "live well for less than you thought" which as you have said is a bit meaningless as everyone's perception of value is different and it doesn't compare to the other supermarkets

I complained to the ASA over loo rolls, Andrex advertised as a 'never ending' loo roll.

When I pointed out my dismay at running out, and a Kobo isn't a very good substitute, they suggested that the advert was not meant to be 'taken literally' and was supposed to be 'amusing'.

So maybe advertising needs a few more warnings not to believe what they say

I blame the Dave Gorman tv prog i watched the other night as he ranted on about how we dont pay attention to the lil details.. so in this instance i did.. the ad came on again, i did miss out the word 'data'..

the line is "based on perception data june 2013"

then a flash up "more details at www.boloxinfo....

a swift get out of bulshitin us!!

a very counter productive ad in this corner.

like most im way to lethargic to do owt but whinge about it socially,

They are trying to convince us that they aren't as pricey as everyone thinks they are.

For some reason Sainsbury's think that we think they are expensive (might be Asda and Tesco trying to cram it down our eyeballs, maybe) so they arre trying fight back with the concept that they offer better food for affordable money.

You'd think that by now they'd just accept that we shop at what ever supermarket is handiest for us wouldn't you?

TRXnMe said:
They are trying to convince us that they aren't as pricey as everyone thinks they are.

For some reason Sainsbury's think that we think they are expensive (might be Asda and Tesco trying to cram it down our eyeballs, maybe) so they arre trying fight back with the concept that they offer better food for affordable money.

You'd think that by now they'd just accept that we shop at what ever supermarket is handiest for us wouldn't you?
You'd think so but apparently sainsburys are becoming a contender in the battle of the supermarkets, market shares rising so they must be doing something right.

Mind you, I don't use supermarkets really. Horrible places and none of them really work out cheaper overall than going round the independents.

And.

'Probably The Best Beer in The World' ....... Best at what Saatchi didn't say!

Megaross said:
Mind you, I don't use supermarkets really. Horrible places and none of them really work out cheaper overall than going round the independents.

+1

not done a regular s/market shop for about a year now, shop locally and daily,on the way home etc SAVED £££££££££'s and no more ritual emptying the fridge into the bin to make room for the next batch destined to hit the bin the following week.

Megaross said:
TRXnMe said:

You'd think so but apparently sainsburys are becoming a contender in the battle of the supermarkets, market shares rising so they must be doing something right.

Sainsbury have always had a good eye for location, plenty of passing trade and usually near the AA demographic of any location they put up a store.

Supermarkets win because they offfer a one stop shop, not because the are cheap, the kidology is that they are cheap. If you want cheap use ALDI / LIDL or the local market and buy your meat from a 'proper' butcher :)

Recently they Sainsbury have started to run the 'we are good value for good quality food' type ads, those and a few other things have seen them step up in the league, as such their sales aren't doing too badly.

I actually use one for my shopping, it's on my way home from work so very handy, and the food is pretty good. A mate of mine who works for a food factory back home Yorkshire) has dealt with them recently and tells me that the standards they expect are third in line to M&S and LIDL.

Thing is there's a LIDL on my way home as well....

Back