Any UK bottle sealing wax suppliers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of wax suitable for sealing the tops of wine bottles? There are retailers out there but they are either abroad and the postage is very steep or they are in the UK and their stock is very limited and expensive.

The bottle sealing wax seems to come in bags of small beads so they are easily to melt and a range of colours. I’m thinking I could get away with sealing wax used for putting seals onto envelopes/certificates but again these seemed to be priced at a premium.

I’m trying to make mead at the moment and thought that as they will be aging for some time it might be worth sealing the bottles with wax and labels and perhaps giving them as gifts.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

i am a bee keeper and have hundreds of recipes heres the one i use for sealing wax

try it if you like

Envelope Sealing Wax
1/2 oz. weight beeswax
3 oz. weight blonde shellac
dry artist's pigment or fresco colors
Melt the beeswax in the microwave. Add the shellac flakes and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until the mixture is melted (about 2 1/2 minutes total time). Stir in the dry pigment. Judge the amount of pigment to add by the color of the wax. Pour this into molds and let it cool. use as required, you can buy bees wax blocks from a hardware store or the local beekeeper the rest i get from craft shops or decent artist shops, as i am old fashioned but i suppose fleabay will have them there too

i am a bee keeper and have hundreds of recipes heres the one i use for sealing wax

try it if you like

Envelope Sealing Wax
1/2 oz. weight beeswax
3 oz. weight blonde shellac
dry artist's pigment or fresco colors
Melt the beeswax in the microwave. Add the shellac flakes and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until the mixture is melted (about 2 1/2 minutes total time). Stir in the dry pigment. Judge the amount of pigment to add by the color of the wax. Pour this into molds and let it cool. use as required, you can buy bees wax blocks from a hardware store or the local beekeeper the rest i get from craft shops or decent artist shops, as i am old fashioned but i suppose fleabay will have them there too

That is superb, thanks for sharing that. I will give this a go when I get time. Also KUDOS to you on your beekeeping. Bees are one of my favourite creatures - wonderful, wonderful little blighters. :)

Replacing a drysuit zipper is not DIY, and it's a very expensive repair. Preventative care, such as like regularly cleaning and lubricating drysuit zipper teeth, will help preserve zipper health. Also, using good techniques to roll and fold the drysuit for transportation to and from the water will help prevent fatal damage.In this instructional video, NRS Repairs guru Josh Gile goes over all the tips for ensuring that the zipper will last

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxhrjAFsK4[/ame]

It doesn't keep the water out, it acts as a dry lubricant that helps the drysuit zip open/close more easily (they are heavy duty riveted zips) without sand, grit etc getting stuck in the teeth which usually leads to leaks. Being wet inside a dry suit is not pleasant!

I've got quite a few blocks of it, might re-purpose one or two!

It doesn't keep the water out, it acts as a dry lubricant that helps the drysuit zip open/close more easily (they are heavy duty riveted zips) without sand, grit etc getting stuck in the teeth which usually leads to leaks. Being wet inside a dry suit is not pleasant!

A right, thanks.

I'm pretty hydrophobic - It's coming up to my annual christmas shower and I'm not looking forward to it :lol:

Latest posts

Back