hop filters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, look at my pics, they are sitting on top of my (her, oops) washing machine...

They are sieves you would rinse rice with etc.

I join them at the bottom, fill them with hops, close them like a clam then dunk them in the boil.

Or do both. Use a hop ball to contain the majority of the crud, and let the filter do the rest. Works for me. Using both means I can get away with my 'knock up' system, keeps me happy, produces good clear beer, and I made it all. But that's what I like. Beer making itself is not my challenge, building the kit myself to make it is. Thats what I do. I look at commercially available stuff and come up with free, recyclable (and sometimes better, more efficient alternatives). Then make it. For a fraction of the price.

I use a sheath I cut off from a diy shop hot water hose. Jubilee clip closes off one end, jubilee clip attaches it to the tap at the other. Hop cones, pellets, no bother. 3 quid. Opportunity to be cheap (and still get really good results).

I used a compression tee to hold the mesh, but same here. The mesh sits in the outer channel and I can tilt the boiler back so it siphons out nicely with very little wort left behind.
IMG_20151015_182325_zpstczklb2a.jpg

If you ever do a bottle swap, I am definatley not joining in :eek:

Can I ask what I did wrong with pouring bottled water over the hop debris in the sieve that then filters into the fermentor? Your expressionate smile indicates that something will be off?

Can I ask what I did wrong with pouring bottled water over the hop debris in the sieve that then filters into the fermentor? Your expressionate smile indicates that something will be off?

You didn't do anything wrong. I was being a silly and making a joke that obviously fell flat on its face.:oops:

You didn't do anything wrong. I was being a silly and making a joke that obviously fell flat on its face.:oops:
Don't worry, I got the joke!
I'm just a new brewer and read between the lines thinking I did something wrong.

I remeber what it's like to be a new brewer. You want to get everything right and worrying about cocking things up. Sorry if I caused you any anxiety there :hat:

Ooo... opportunity to show off!

I use three "bazookas". Two custom jobs each made from 1m stainless steel braid and a short "conventional" one fitted vertically. The whole assembly fits to the boiler tap with a "cone union". The vertical "bazooka" drains from above the hop bed minimising the impact of having the other "bazookas" clog up (not that they have). Big strainer but then I can do 15-16 gallon batches. I don't tempt fate and stick to whole hops, never pellets.

"Bazookas" from Paul at Angel Homebrew. Bits for building manifold from BES. Paranoia needed for designing it this way all my own!

Oh man this is stunning!

Back