new mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook123_uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying an igloo 45 litre mash tun. Most of my brews are 23 litres and I use a 5kg grain bill (although I may go a little higher at some point).
Is the 45 litre one too big for this or is it a non issue?

I'm thinking about temp loss etc.

Cheers,
Rich

As long as it's well insulated and you preheat it first I reckon you'll be fine, especially if you're thinking of increasing your grain bill in the future.

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying an igloo 45 litre mash tun. Most of my brews are 23 litres and I use a 5kg grain bill (although I may go a little higher at some point).
Is the 45 litre one too big for this or is it a non issue?

I'm thinking about temp loss etc.

Cheers,
Rich

I have recently made one same product, i will let you no tomorrow afternoon:thumb:

I've got one, and whilst it's the only one I've ever used (11 ag brews) I can say that it doesn't hold it's temperature that well.
If uncovered it'll loose 5/6 degrees over 1.5/2 hours. I wrap mine up in towels and it's a lot better - 1/2 degrees over the same time.
I'm thinking about buying some a honey bubble wrap insulation stuff to make it more efficient.

I've got one, and whilst it's the only one I've ever used (11 ag brews) I can say that it doesn't hold it's temperature that well.
If uncovered it'll loose 5/6 degrees over 1.5/2 hours. I wrap mine up in towels and it's a lot better - 1/2 degrees over the same time.
I'm thinking about buying some a honey bubble wrap insulation stuff to make it more efficient.

Hi Darren what temperature was your water when you started the mash ?

Get yourself a cheap camping foam sleeping mat - they work wonders, and can be cut into base, sides and lid.

Hi Darren what temperature was your water when you started the mash ?

Hey Stevo,
Typically for a 5/6kg grist I'd hear strike water to 74~76 for a 66~68 mash. Usually hit the target temp then it would loose heat slowly over the mash period. I must add that I do open her up to stir and make an iodine check but very quickly. Maybe twice for 20 seconds during the mash.

I noticed the kid was starting to fill with water and on closer inspection there is a bung on the underside of the lid. I had to drill a tiny hole in a corner to get it to drain. But this do get me thinking that on the next brew I'm going to fill the lid with hot water from the tap and see if this helps matters at all.

Hey Stevo,
Typically for a 5/6kg grist I'd hear strike water to 74~76 for a 66~68 mash. Usually hit the target temp then it would loose heat slowly over the mash period. I must add that I do open her up to stir and make an iodine check but very quickly. Maybe twice for 20 seconds during the mash.

I noticed the kid was starting to fill with water and on closer inspection there is a bung on the underside of the lid. I had to drill a tiny hole in a corner to get it to drain. But this do get me thinking that on the next brew I'm going to fill the lid with hot water from the tap and see if this helps matters at all.
Better still, drill a bigger hole, get a can of expanding foam insulation and fill your lid void that way. Or, prise the two parts away from each other, stuff it with loft insulation wool. (I've done the latter).

You may only be doing 5kg grain bills just now, but who says you might not fancy a strong scotch ale or barley wine in the future...45ltr will give you that flexibility. I've got a 34ltr tun and wish I'd got slightly larger since I can only just squeeze in my 9kg scotch ale recipe I do even though I'll probably only make it once a year.

Better still, drill a bigger hole, get a can of expanding foam insulation and fill your lid void that way. Or, prise the two parts away from each other, stuff it with loft insulation wool. (I've done the latter).

Buy that man a beer.
That's a great idea, I'll do that.

Better still buy a Igloo :lol:

Used my new Mash Tun today 8kg of grain in total heated strike water to 72c
mashed @67 for 1 hour, losing just 2c without wrapping the Mash Tun

Better still buy a Igloo :lol:

Wouldn't it melt very quickly?!

pringles-igloo.jpeg

Back