Beer bellys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well its gotta be asked on a forum like this.seeing as we all like the ale has it over the years given you a beer belly does it bother you if you have one? I have drunk on average 30 pints a week for around 14 years and prior to that drank even more.its only recently I've put the brakes on and go into self denial Mon Tues and Wednesday as I have noticed that the old beer belly is growing a little too fast as my advancing years creep on.even though I am still around my usual fighting fit weight of around 11/ half stone.so come on own up have you got one,if your brave get your other half to take a photo of it and post it lol

Here is mine -

belly.jpg

Only joking, can you get a wine belly? :lol:

sad fact - as you get older (amongst other things) you shrink, the cartilage between your vertebrae wears. this means your body becomes shorter even if you don't put any weight on the weight you do have sits on a smaller frame :-( so the waistline expands - it's enough to drive you to another beer ;-)

if your metabolism slows as well and you become less active = less calories burnt off so you need to consume less calories.

just keep drinking beer and cut down on food instead and you'll be fine :D

I hardly eat at all these days:rolleyes:

sad fact - as you get older (amongst other things) you shrink, the cartilage between your vertebrae wears. this means your body becomes shorter even if you don't put any weight on the weight you do have sits on a smaller frame :-( so the waistline expands - it's enough to drive you to another beer ;-)

if your metabolism slows as well and you become less active = less calories burnt off so you need to consume less calories.

Yeah you have something there,when I was a young Mon and had my yearly medicals at work I was 5'11 and 3/4.early last year on a hospital appointment they took my weight and height and I was flabbergasted when they said 5'9 and a half,I'm still in shock I can tell you

Totally agree, eating is soooo overrated these days! All that food just taking up beer space, heheeee :doh:

On the plus side, I'm 6'8" so my frame can carry a bit more. Make mine a mince pie & chips and a pint of Black Sabbath please :lol:

Yeah you have something there,when I was a young Mon and had my yearly medicals at work I was 5'11 and 3/4.early last year on a hospital appointment they took my weight and height and I was flabbergasted when they said 5'9 and a half,I'm still in shock I can tell you

I just had this shock even tho' i was expecing it :-o I used to be 6ft & 1/2 an inch now i'm an inch shorter than I used to be. tonight i'll be hanging upside down from the lightshade like a bat or...... having a beer to drown my sorrows!

Totally agree, eating is soooo overrated these days! All that food just taking up beer space, heheeee :doh:

On the plus side, I'm 6'8" so my frame can carry a bit more. Make mine a mince pie & chips and a pint of Black Sabbath please :lol:

of course this video highlights the benefits of a low food diet :whistle:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54[/ame]

Well in my twenties and thirties I wend to the Jim 3 times a week for a six pack
Now over 50 I realise a keg is better :grin:

Yes, I have a beer belly and chippy t*ts also. I got a leaflet through the door about 15 years ago saying "Do you feel like you are drinking alcohol too much? Do you feel you need help with your addiction? Is your beer belly getting bigger? As my waistline was growing daily I thought yes I need help. So, I rang the number on the bottom and it was the landlady of my local!! The rest is history. Best years of my life..

I'm 55 and lost an inch and a quarter in a mountain bike accident. No wonder my gut has grown! I ride 3 times a week so feel I can drink what I like. I tend to drink about 18 beers a week, almost all homebrewed.:drink:I feel like I'm in a steady state and don't worry about the inevitable changes of aging.

To be fair at 41 year old I have seen a bit of a belly forming, but also I have moved to a full time desk job which is a real killer on the waist line. I probably have about 15-20 pints a week of Home brew with a few commercial beers thrown in.

My belly has had it's ups and downs or rather ins and outs over the years.

I remember my first year at Uni where my consumption ramped up a fair bit! This wasn't helped by the fact that towards the end of the last term we'd be finishing nearly every session by going to the chippy afterwards. Come the start of the second year I thought I'd better do something so cut all the junk out of my diet (crisps, biscuits, etc.) and went to the gym a few times a week. Still drank the same amount of beer but managed to shed some of the excess.

From then on I've kept myself in relatively good shape but it all went to pot a couple of years back whilst dealing with a health issue with my lungs. Initially lost quite a bit of weight due to being ill and not drinking due to the medication I was on for my mental state but once diagnosed I was put on steriods for it. Piled on the weight due to the drugs and was nearly 1.5 stone over my previous weight.

I've now been weaned off the steroids to quite a low dose and took up running about a year ago. Did my first 10k event last weekend and I've lost nearly 2 stone from the running so feeling quite slender now but would like to lose more as I've never really been thin. Still having plenty of beer though! :thumb:

took up running about a year ago. Did my first 10k event last weekend and I've lost nearly 2 stone from the running so feeling quite slender now but would like to lose more as I've never really been thin. Still having plenty of beer though! :thumb:

Running's great for keeping off the pounds and having that all round feeling of being 'fit' (after the initial knackeredness has passed!). Not so great for your knees though which is why I do cross-country to stay off the hard tarmac. Nicer scenery as well.

Running's great for keeping off the pounds and having that all round feeling of being 'fit' (after the initial knackeredness has passed!). Not so great for your knees though which is why I do cross-country to stay off the hard tarmac. Nicer scenery as well.

I'd like to do more cross country but as the majority of my running is done in the evenings route choice is a bit limited in the darker evenings. I do have a riverside route that I can do in the summer months that's largely off road, really enjoy doing that.

I've got some maximal / max cushioning, or whatever you want to call them, running shoes (Hoka One One) which really help soften the blow of the tarmac.

Latest posts

Back