Chillies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man alive - I wanted to grow more chillies this year. Too late to plant seeds or should I just buy some seedlings from the rob a shop garden centre !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots...I have a 20x12 poly tunnel awaiting assembly. ..probably spuds,already got onions,carrots,peas,beans,sprouts, cabbage,beetroot, cauliflower, pumpkin, corn,tomatoes, chillies,cucumber, aubergines,melons,okra,salad stuff...

Awesome - I’m aspiring to that matey. Take up much of your time keeping all that stuff ticking over ?

Man alive - I wanted to grow more chillies this year. Too late to plant seeds or should I just buy some seedlings from the rob a shop garden centre !?

Not too late for 'standard' chillies (capsicum annuum). Seaspring seeds (just down the road from me) and south Devon chilli farm both send out plug plants mail order and you'll get much more choice than garden centre

They really will bud! You did well to get a capsicum chinense (habanero / naga / Scotch bonnet etc) to overwinter well though as they can be a bit temperamental. I know of people who have overwintered the same plants for 5 seasons plus, and those guys always get the earliest pods and biggest harvests. Have it your way if you want though......
Its not a question of having it my way, its what I have tried and the what I have found in the out come, I have two green houses which are hydroponic, (not heated).I have had them in there and out doors, if they are in a sheltered position they will survive without cutting back but the better harvest and better fruit are from the new season plants. The only chili I have had that has produced well and survived for years outdoors is a Birds Eye chili.

Its not a question of having it my way, its what I have tried and the what I have found in the out come, I have two green houses which are hydroponic, (not heated).I have had them in there and out doors, if they are in a sheltered position they will survive without cutting back but the better harvest and better fruit are from the new season plants. The only chili I have had that has produced well and survived for years outdoors is a Birds Eye chili.
Fair enough it didn't work out for you..... Wouldn't want others to be put off though....

chocolate ghost, chocolate trinidad scorpions and white ghost on my windowsill currently. had bad harvests last year, small fruit that never really ripened

I am not trying to put any one off, horticulture is my bread and butter, if anyone wants to try it they are welcome to, second year of the solanaceae family, egg plant would probably give the best result out of the lot.

Latest posts

Back