Multiple Yeast Staters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
It's about time I started using liquid yeasts. I've always been put off by the price (unfounded) and reliability (unfounded). But I have got a real problem.

I use Beersmith which has a calculator for starters (presumably one of several calculators available). And with this calculator I can determine the size of starter. I brew batches of 45 or 65 litres and one of the "revelations" is I can do this using just one pack of yeast, as long as I'm not brewing a really strong beer. But the calculator will usually tell me I need a starter bigger than the often use 2L euleymer flask. I'm warned against larger flasks (expensive, and subject to accidents) and using 1 gallon demijohns (magnetic stirrers don't like their domed base). So ...

If I need a starter of (say) 3L, can I split the yeast pack across two starters of 1.5L each? I'll then build a second stirrer and buy another flask.

Yes.

I'd suggest using some scales to accurately split the yeast pack evenly i.e. weigh the empty flasks before you pour in.

Yes.

I'd suggest using some scales to accurately split the yeast pack evenly i.e. weigh the empty flasks before you pour in.
Thanks.

I'll probably mix in a demijohn then roughly split the contents between two flasks.

If you have space in the flasks, I'd also suggest doing the full 2L in each. Once both are fermented out, give them a good swirl and collect approx. 500ml from each into a sanitised mason jar, and pitch the rest. Pop that in the fridge for your next starter.

Splitting the starter across two flasks is no problem. And I started using the Brewer's Friend yeast starter calculator which covers "stepped" starters allowing me to make starters for strong beers too. I used the calculator's "Braukaiser" growth model.

Last brew: 45L 1.058 using a 2L starter split across two flasks and created in 2 steps (over 2.5 days) from one pack of WLP002. 1.058 -> 1.016 in 48 hours.

Back