Wyeast 1469 west Yorkshire sub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Preparing for the next brew. A possible is the gh Yorkshire bitter. Recipe calls for wyeast 1469 west Yorkshire ale yeast,the yeast section of the book offers no sub...
I've got cml English ale,fermentis 04;wilko gervin..
Any of these or should I get the wyeast?

Cheers

Clint

If you want to go liquid how about Edinburgh Scottish ale yeast WLP028? I used it for an IIPA. in one of many chats to Rob at the Malt miller he uses it as a go to yeast for many beers.

Hello all
Preparing for the next brew. A possible is the gh Yorkshire bitter. Recipe calls for wyeast 1469 west Yorkshire ale yeast,the yeast section of the book offers no sub...
I've got cml English ale,fermentis 04;wilko gervin..
Any of these or should I get the wyeast?

Cheers

Clint

Hi Clint
I would use the CML yeast I am becoming a big fan of their yeasts theyb are quick and clean just used the real ale yeast on a hob goblin style and it was done and kegged within 10 days and I usually leave mine a minimum of 14 days to clean up but so fast it was done al about in 3 days also used the cali common and krystalweizen all good and at under £1 a shot I have found them so fats and clean

I've used both 1469 and the WLP028 suggested above. They are both great but not in the least bit alike. If you're going to buy the liquid then buy the 1469. 1469 is an aggressive top cropper that produces lovely fruity esters then flocculates like a ton of bricks leaving behind clear beer that does not need fining. It was a candidate for my house yeast until I found WLP007. Out of what you have I'd say S-04 will work well. Don't know about the CML yeast but it has a good rep around here.

Foxbat: What is the wlp 007 like?

The west Yorkshire is an ester heavy strain. I'm growing a starter atm, it too an age to get going but seems OK now. Didn't foam up (over) like the Belgian top cropper I used. A Scottish yeast will be very clean and much more accepting of cold temps, think that one is good for 16c where as wyeast 1728 goes down to 13c.

I dry yeast like S-04 of XML real ale will probably do but I doubt it will give the same esters. From reading the camera real ale book most recipes are very similar so ita the yeast that is the difference. My recent experience with wyeast whitbread yeast would support this.

Foxbat: What is the wlp 007 like?

I agree with everything the poster of this thread says:

It attenuates like mad, it drops out like a stone leaving crystal clear beer, and if you keep temps low it really doesn't produce much in the way of esters, and it certainly doesn't mute the hop profile.

I bottle and it's perfect for that because it sticks nicely to the bottom so I get almost zero waste when pouring.

Latest posts

Back