WLP001 or WLP028

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I'm brewing a porter in a fortnight and (through an error from The Malt Miller) I have WLP001 and WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale Yeast). The recipe calls for WLP001.

I'm wondering if I could use the WLP028 yeast in a porter, as otherwise it'll probably go to waste. The WLP001 on the other hand will get used in the following brew.

I'm just trying to find a way to use both yeasts.

Any thoughts?

I'm brewing a porter in a fortnight and (through an error from The Malt Miller) I have WLP001 and WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale Yeast). The recipe calls for WLP001.

I'm wondering if I could use the WLP028 yeast in a porter, as otherwise it'll probably go to waste. The WLP001 on the other hand will get used in the following brew.

I'm just trying to find a way to use both yeasts.

Any thoughts?

I have a recipe for an IIPA that used WLP028 if you are interested?

On the white labs website both those yeasts cover the same spectrum of beers and and ales and American porter is in the list for both of them, both of those seem like a work horse type yeasts
Check them out yourself to see if it's what you are looking for in the recipe you are using

I think it would work very well. Just bear in mind that it is lower attenuating so if you have a target abv in mind you may need to bump up your grain bill.

I have to say I find the preeminence of WLP001/US05 quite odd, other than it being a reliable yeast good for hoppy beers which a lot of home brewers like making. I've never understood why it is used in so many other styles. This isn't a criticism, each to their own when it comes to brewing but I think there are so many characterful yeasts that have a lot more to say than WLP001.

Thanks. I'll use the WLP028.

I noticed it is lower attenuating, and I've already got my grains, so how could I push the attenuation up a little? The recipe calls for a 75min mash @ 65°. Could I mash longer? Add a little sugar?

It's from 1.053 to 1.014, using WLP001. I don't think I'd hit 1.014 with WLP028 as it is 5% lower attenuating properties.

I think it would work very well. Just bear in mind that it is lower attenuating so if you have a target abv in mind you may need to bump up your grain bill.

I have to say I find the preeminence of WLP001/US05 quite odd, other than it being a reliable yeast good for hoppy beers which a lot of home brewers like making. I've never understood why it is used in so many other styles. This isn't a criticism, each to their own when it comes to brewing but I think there are so many characterful yeasts that have a lot more to say than WLP001.

Very good observation here, Simon. I have used US05 for most of my English style beers for some time now. Here are some of the reasons:

It is tolerant of relatively high temperatures and I live in a centrally heated house with no brewing fridge.

It delivers a clean tasting and clear beer, due to good flocculation, a bit like the cheap supermarket lager and cider I was used to for many years before taking up HB again.

It attenuates well, especially if re-used from an original batch.

It is available in dry form and does not "kick-off" quickly, thus avoiding beer flooding through the airlock in the 25L brew lengths I favour.

Inertia and mean-ness. I can buy a sachet of US 05 for £2 0r £3 quid and if I re-use it via 250ml bottles under green beer it will give me ~ 6 brews with some reliability.

It works for me. So has the Coopers yeast, which I also like.

Using other yeasts is possibly my next step-up in the great Home-brew journey :thumb:

Thanks. I'll use the WLP028.

Good choice. I used it in a black beer and it complimented the maltiness really well and was one of the best beers I've ever brewed. It didn't flocculate as hard as the Yorkshire yeasts I've used and the fermentation had a long tail that needed 3 weeks in the brew fridge to come down the last few points. Totally worth it though, a fine yeast that's totally suited to what you're brewing. I think you'll love it.

I often read people saying that overnight mashes result in drier beers. Would this counteract the WLP028's lower attenuation properties?

I used wyeast's version of 028 in a hoppy blonde ale, maris otter, Munich then a bunch of galaxy hops. It's weird as it attenuated 86% which is 15% more than expected, not sure why but not infected and hasn't started gushing. Should be even better in a porter as the Scottish yeasts should emphasise the malt nicely.

If you've got a spare fermenter, why not split your batch and try both? Have a side-by-side comparison to see what the differences are.

First off, dont believe the attenuation figures on white lab's/Wyeast's site's. If you read around the forums you'll soon see that their often not accurate. Secondly you can use some simple sugar to dry the beer out. You can use anything; table sugar, belgian candi sugar, corn sugar (brewers sugar) etc. I once used MJ Newcastle dark ale yeast/ Empire yeast. Knowing it only had about 65% attenuation I added some golden syrup, which bumped the attenuation to about 72% iirc

Latest posts

Back