punk ipa is it as good is it was?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
i had 3 cans of this tonight and i cant help but think its not what it was. its been 1 of my favorite beers for the last 2 years but it seams to have changed. i brewed a 5l batch and did a side by side and it mine just tasted how punk did when i first tried it but the bottle of punk i had seamed to just lack in everything. could be me but id like to know what you lot think

My personal view is it is a reasonable middle of the road IPA. My preference is for a bit less bitterness and a bit more hop flavour. I also prefer a little bit more malt flavour than Punk has. I had two cans of Dead Pony Club tonight and really enjoyed them as they ticked those boxes for me.

I realise that doesn't answer your question about how it used to be, honestly I can't answer that as I can't really remember drinking it much more than a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No its not. You probably know my thoughts on BrewDog, but always liked Punk IPA. I dont know if they have changed the recipe or my tastebuds have become accustomed to IPA`s, but its definatley different

Disclaimer....I only buy it when its 2 for £5.00 (750ml) at Morrisons.

i do like dead pony club that has not changed i dont think. i had a bottle in the week its still got its pungent citrus ant malty flavour

No its not. You probably know my thoughts on BrewDog, but always liked Punk IPA. I dont know if they have changed the recipe or my tastebuds have become accustomed to IPA`s, but its definatley different

Disclaimer....I only buy it when its 2 for £5.00 (750ml) at Morrisons.

i like a good part of most of the brewdog beers ive tried im a big fan of them its just punk dont seam the same anymore

Punk IPA tasted best when it was 3 x 660ml bottles in Tesco for £5

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jackhammer is in my top 3 beers. Punk IPA was also there, but I think that they have changed the recipe. Or it might be that they cant mass produce Punk on a large scale, which they have done dispite saying that they would never do this. Craft brewers, my ****.

Jackhammer is in my top 3 beers. Punk IPA was also there, but I think that they have changed the recipe. Or it might be that they cant mass produce Punk on a large scale, which they have done dispite saying that they would never do this. Craft brewers, my ****.

Jackhammer is an excellent beer. I bought the jackhammer kit as my second brew on the grainfather and it turned out awesome, now that I have done a few more brews I decided to try it again. I was going to just buy the ingredients separately but the cost of the brewdog kit came in at about £2 over getting all the ingredients separately so just went with it to save on hassle (and found it with free postage so ended up costing less).

It was Punk IPA that got me onto good beers and I still (sort of) remember when I first tried it in the pub. For a long time I thought this was the best beer Id ever tasted, however now I am not too fussed by it. Im not sure if the beer has changed or my taste... its still good but nothing to get excited about. I still think that brewdog make some of the best tasting beers around, after the jackhammer Im planning and elvis juice with a big hit of grapefruit.

Think your always going to get a better taste from your own clone, than the commercial beer...
That said I thought the Punk IPA was lacking umpph! The last bottle.
As it's said it might be my tastebuds getting accustomed to it!
I try and see a new Brewdog beer n think could I make the clone and how to improve it! (If at all)
Got the Elvis juice lined up...n I'll try to follow the recipe!!
Bet I don't!!
Bri

So I bought some the other day to see what all the fuss was about, here I am thinking it's some kind of hipster beer (I think it still kinda is). Honestly, I wasn't that impressed and the price per bottle, no thanks.

Strangely enough, I had a bottle yesterday for the first time in a wee while and I thought to myself it was tasting better than I remembered. The earlier version of Punk was better, no doubt, but that was a hell of a long time ago now.

Jackhammer is an excellent beer. I bought the jackhammer kit as my second brew on the grainfather and it turned out awesome, now that I have done a few more brews I decided to try it again. I was going to just buy the ingredients separately but the cost of the brewdog kit came in at about £2 over getting all the ingredients separately so just went with it to save on hassle (and found it with free postage so ended up costing less).

It was Punk IPA that got me onto good beers and I still (sort of) remember when I first tried it in the pub. For a long time I thought this was the best beer Id ever tasted, however now I am not too fussed by it. Im not sure if the beer has changed or my taste... its still good but nothing to get excited about. I still think that brewdog make some of the best tasting beers around, after the jackhammer Im planning and elvis juice with a big hit of grapefruit.

i looked at the jackhammer kit 2 thaught about doing it. did it come woth hop extract like in the book. where did you get it from with free postage

5AM on tap for me is a brilliant beer.
have done a few DIY Dog recipies,all tweaked however and have had good results,Nuns with Guns and Trashy Blonde were really good,the punk was ok,however i did the earlier recipie of that one . Actually have a litre bottle of Nuns to open at lunch time:thumb:
Would rather brew them than buy them by the bottle however.

No I think it's different, something has changed. I have always enjoyed Punk but I had a bottle last weekend. It seemed to lack the aroma and flavour. My favourite of the moment is Beavertown Gamma Ray.

We quite like it, but never had the old recipe punk IPA. I will say though, the bottled tastes nicer than the cans! I always say that though for any beer. I prefer their Electric India hybrid saison though to be honest, it has a more subtle flavour profile that allows you to taste all of the different flavours, rather than just bombarding you with hops. Before I tried that I preferred the Jack Hammer, but that really is a hop bomb.. lol

I live near a BrewDog bar and 75% of the time I drink the guest beer when I’m in there... the PIPA ain’t bad and it has changed over the years. The DIY Dog has the different recipes which I’m sure many of you know about. Brew dog beers have got better over the last few years but I regularly taste that they have a ‘brew dog signature flavour’. Maybe it’s a particular hop or the yeast but it always comes across on my palate (I’m not suggesting that I have a great palate but I recognize that signature flavour every time).

There are better beers being made in the U.K. but BrewDog do have some solid brews in their line up and have the fan base.

From what I can tell before 2011 (some say 2009) it was 6% 100% maris otter & much higher bitterness, now it uses extra pale malt and is 5.6%. My opinion of it now is its nice but not great & is to overpriced everywhere.

Disclaimer....I only buy it when its 2 for ����£5.00 (750ml) at Morrisons.

Do they sell it in 750ml bottles? I thought the 'bomber' bottles were 660ml...

Like a few others have mentioned, I can't really remember the original recipe of Punk but the current version is a nice beer. However, I prefer Dead Pony Club and the seasonal Hop Fiction (and Trashy Blonde which they don't seem to brew regularly, if at all now).

Back