Yeasts that don't mind the "cold"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the cool weather starts to draw in, I am noticing that my overnight temperature in the office is dropping to about 15c and staying about 18-20c during the day.
Now I normally keep my fv on a Styrofoam base and wrapped in an old sleeping bag to prevent any big temperature changes, but I have to face facts that my average temp is now going to be 15-17c
What yeast should I be using to keep a typical 2 can beer kit (or a turbo cider) going at those temps and still ferment out fully?

Thanks for any advice

I think that's within the working range of most ale yeasts, it will just take a bit longer. I just picked up the spec sheet for Safale S-04 [literally lying about on my coffee table because I've just used it] and that quotes 15C-20C as the ideal range, which probably means it will go a bit higher or lower without problems.

Salsafe US-05 will ferment at lower temps and is well suited to beers you wish to finish clean and dry without too many esters

Salsafe US-05 will ferment at lower temps and is well suited to beers you wish to finish clean and dry without too many easters

It's been reported it can get a little peachy at lower temps however, around 14-15c

I'm using WLP002 (Fuller's apparently) for the first time. Wish a bit of cold would deter that! Down to 1.010 (OG 1.058) in 3.5 days, primary was done in 48 hours where upon I started cooling it (Now 13C. I'd had to cool it before this point, the temperature had rocketed to 22C during primary).

I suppose it might throw a sulk if cold to start, but once it's gets a hold there seems to be no stopping it. I'm worried its going to start munching on the steel fermenter when it can't find any more sugar.

(EDIT: I think I'm going to try the yeast for bread-making now - I've got buckets of the stuff; it's quite prolific!).
(EDIT2: "down to 1.013..." I think my sample glass was wet when I got 1.010 ... nice thing about graphs; you notice when something aint right. Its stopped now - abruptly - and my fermenter is not looking like the yeast tried to eat it).

I've got US-05 bubbling away at the moment in an Amber and its around 15 degrees down in the cellar, I need to get some insulation for the FV now winter is drawing in.
In about a months time I should be able to report back on the performance of US-05 and any peachiness, I hope not!

Thanks guys, I think my next brew I'll try a WLP002 and see how that gets on with a dark ale.
Not sure how that would do in a TC, so might stick with Young's all purpose wine and beer yeast and move the demijohn in to the kitchen where it's a little bit warmer.

Thanks guys, I think my next brew I'll try a WLP002 and see how that gets on with a dark ale.
Not sure how that would do in a TC, so might stick with Young's all purpose wine and beer yeast and move the demijohn in to the kitchen where it's a little bit warmer.

I used the Danstar version of this yeast on my Sarah Hughes Ruby (Mild) ale and was so annoyed by it sticking at 1.018 I just chucked in US 05 to get it down to proper FG's (by my thinking!).

This approach seemed to work very well and I re-used the blended yeast a couple of times with good results.

Latest posts

Back